Bachelor of Sport Coaching
The Bachelor of Sport Coaching (BSpC) is the only specialist sport coaching degree in Aotearoa. With flexible learning and internships, this qualification caters for a wide variety of students.
Gain key skills employers are looking for, not just in sport and related fields, but in everything from communications to corporate management. BSpC students learn skills such as leadership, accountability, communication, teamwork, motivation, and psychology.
- Learn through a blend of practice and theory covering all aspects of sports coaching.
- Focus your degree on sports of your choice, from individual sports to team sports and professional athletes.
- Option to study a minor from Sport Coaching or subjects across Arts, Commerce, Health Science, Science, and Youth and Community Leadership.
- Get involved in the community through coaching in schools, teams, or in sports-related organisations throughout study.
- This degree also provides a recognised pathway for entry to teaching qualifications, in particular physical education and health teaching at secondary level.
Admission to UC with University Entrance (or equivalent) is required to enrol.
If English is your additional language, you are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
The BSpC has intakes in both February and July each year. For information on the enrolment process, please see how to apply for undergraduate qualifications.
As some of the courses within this programme involve working with children, a police check and interview will be completed at the beginning of these courses — you will be sent information on how to complete these at the appropriate time.
The government has announced new vaccination requirements for the health and education sectors. This qualification requires students to undertake placements in the community, including in schools/kura, early childhood centres, or health/medical facilities.
For this qualification, you will be required to be vaccinated in line with the NZ Government regulations, and supply evidence of your vaccination status.
Bachelor of Sport Coaching – example degree structure
At least 90 points must be at 300-level.
Each small block represents a 15-point course. However, some courses may be 30 points or more.
This diagram is an example only – other combinations are possible. For specific course requirements, see the Regulations for the Bachelor of Sport Coaching.
The BSpC is made up of a total of 360 points:
- 135 points of compulsory courses
- at least 120 points towards a major
- the remaining points can be from Sport Coaching courses or other degrees.
A minimum of 225 points must be from courses above 100-level, with at least 90 points at 300-level.
The degree takes 3 years of full-time study, or can be studied part-time for up to 6 years.
Majors and minors
BSpC students have the option of completing either:
- a major
- a major and a minor
- two majors (a double major).
Each major has specific course requirements, but all consist of a minimum 120 points, with at least 45 points at 200-level and at least 60 points at 300-level.
A minor consists of a minimum of 75 points, including at least 45 points above 100-level, in a single subject chosen from Sport Coaching, Arts, Commerce, Digital Screen, Health Sciences, Science, or Youth and Community Leadership degrees.
Distance study option
Most BSpC courses are available to study on campus or as a distance online learning option.
Distance study supports STAR students, students from other UC degree programmes, as well as people who are employed or lead busy lives.
If you are enrolled in an online distance course you will be supported through online resources, such as discussion forums, recorded lectures, and video tutorials.
You can also study part-time for up to 6 years.
For those who wish to gain an entry-level qualification in Sport Coaching, there is a certificate option. The Certificate in Sport Coaching is available part-time or over one semester. It can lead onto the full bachelor's degree.
Those already with an undergraduate degree or relevant post-secondary school study and work experience may consider the Graduate Certificate in Sport Coaching; an online, flexible learning qualification that enables you to develop your professional coaching skills.
Sport Coaching courses are grouped into three main strands: pedagogy (the theory and application of coaching and learning), sport and exercise sciences, and sociology of sport. As well as core Sport Coaching courses throughout the three years of the degree, you will also study towards a major, a major and minor, or a double major.
See ‘How do I plan my degree?’ above for an example degree structure diagram.
- SPCO101 Introduction to Sport Coaching
- SPCO102 Theoretical Foundations of Coaching and Teaching
- SPCO104 Anatomy and Physiology
- SPCO105 Social History of Sport and Physical Education
- SPCO110 Practicum 1
- SPCO201 Learner-Centred Teaching and Coaching OR (300 level) SPCO302 Athlete-Centred Coaching for Individual Sport
- SPCO208 Sport and Culture in New Zealand
- SPCO209 Exercise Physiology
Careers in teaching and management – options
Graduates can complete a qualification in one year to become a teacher or manager:
- Graduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning (Primary Education or Secondary Education)
- Master of Sport Science
- Master of Teaching and Learning (Primary Education or Secondary Education)
- Master of Business
- Postgraduate Certificate in Sport Science
- Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning
- Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Science
- Put your skills into practice with a 120-hour internship in your final year.
- Gain skills in communication, management, leadership, teamwork, motivation, and psychology.
- Graduates are working as strength and conditioning coaches, community sports coordinators, performance analysts, sports scientists, managers, and more.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2021||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$6,556|
|2022||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$6,667|
|Year||Points||Info||Fees (NZD)||Fees (NZD) Excl GST|
|2022||120||This is an indicative fee - total tuition fee will be dependent on your course selection (banded)||$30,725||$26,717|
|2023||120||This is an indicative fee - total tuition fee will be dependent on your course selection (banded)||$32,000||$27,826|
See more information about our Sport Coaching programmes.
For the full degree requirements, see the Regulations for the Bachelor of Sport Coaching.
For study planning help, contact a Student Advisor.
For more information on facilities, resources, and staff, see Te Kaupeka Oranga | Faculty of Health.