Diploma in Arts
If you are wanting to study Arts subjects at university, the one-year Diploma in Arts (DipArts) is a great option without having to complete a full three-year bachelor's degree.
It also allows you to take Arts courses of interest to add onto your studies in other areas.
- Choose from a wide range of Arts subjects and courses at any level.
- Complete a compulsory course on foundational arts skills of academic writing, analysing evidence, or bicultural identity.
- This Diploma can be studied full-time in 1 year, or part-time for up to 6 years.
- Can be used as a pathway to the Bachelor of Arts with the ability to transfer your completed courses to that degree.
Diploma in Arts – example degree structure
Arts subject (eg, Anthropology)
Each small block represents a 15-point course. However, some courses may be 30 points or more.
This diagram is an example only – other combinations are possible.
The DipArts is made up of 120 points, including subjects and compulsory course options from the Bachelor of Arts.
It can be completed within 1 year full-time, or up to 6 years part-time.
You can choose to transfer the credits you gain during the Diploma in Arts to the Bachelor of Arts (and some other degrees), as long as you have not already graduated with the Diploma.
Complete one of the following courses:
- ARTS102 Problems, Questions, Evidence
- MAOR165 Tuakiri: Culture and Identity
- WRIT101 Writing for Academic Success
Plus choose up to 105 points of courses from the following subjects:
- Gain broad knowledge of arts, social science, and humanities subjects of your choosing.
- Fundamental skills in communicating, critiquing, and creating ideas.
- Graduates find work in community, government, business, culture, creative arts, and many more industries.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
For study planning help, contact a Student Advisor.
For more information on facilities, resources, and staff, see Te Kaupeka Toi Tangata | Faculty of Arts.