If you are an international student applying for admission to UC, you must demonstrate your proficiency in written and spoken English. This can be achieved by providing evidence you have either gained University Entrance with a NZ-based qualification, completed an academic qualification substantially taught in English in a country where English is the predominant language, or passed an approved English language test to an appropriate standard.
Approved English language tests
UC recognises the following English Language tests and courses:
- International English Language Testing System Academic (IELTS Academic) - including online and One Skill Retake
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT) - including Home Edition and Paper Edition #
- CCEL English for Academic Purposes Level 2 (EAP Level 2) - including online
- Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE) - including online
- New Zealand Certificate in English Language (NZCEL)
- FluentIQ (*FluentIQ should be used where IELTS Indicator or TOEFL cannot be used)
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English (ISE)
Booking an IELTS test
Book your IELTS test directly through the IELTS website. If you are currently in NZ, there are several IELTS test locations around the country, including at the Centre for Assessment & Monitoring on the UC Dovedale campus in Christchurch. Select the location and time that suits you plus the test type and delivery format required. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries related to your test.
Booking a TOEFL test
When booking a TOEFL test, if you choose to have your test results sent to UC you will need to provide UC's 'Institution Code' and postal address.
Institution Code: 9482
Postal address: Admissions, University of Canterbury, Private Bag 4800, Christchurch 8140, New Zealand
Alternatively you can upload your results in myUC.