Postgraduate Diploma in Business
The Postgraduate Diploma in Business provides the skills and competencies that will allow graduates to gain employment within the private and public sector in relevant business positions. It also provides a pathway to the Master of Business Management and Master of Professional Accounting programmes.
As one of the qualifications available within the Business Taught Masters programme, you will gain business experience, professional skills and industry connections within a short timeframe, and no previous background in business is required. Graduates will gain the confidence to challenge existing commercial practice and participate in the development of new and innovative business strategies.
The UC Business School | Te Kura Umanga is ranked in the top five percent in the world as part of the accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). UC ranks in the top 250 universities in the world for Business and Management Studies (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2019).
Students must have a bachelor's degree with at least a B Grade Point Average in 300-level courses, or equivalent, and been approved by the Dean of Business.
Students with English as an additional language are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Business or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
The programme has intakes in February and August.
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The PGDipBus consists of 120 points of core business courses.
The programme must be completed over 9 months full-time, or up to 4 years part-time.
The PGDipBus courses cover core business subjects that industry stakeholders consider to be important for any business graduate at a postgraduate level. The courses required for the Postgraduate Diploma in Business are the core knowledge courses required as part of the Master of Business Management, Master of Financial Management, and Master of Professional Accounting.
Students choose 8 courses (120 points) from the following list:
- MBAZ 601 Managerial Accounting
- MBAZ 602 Business Economics
- MBAZ 603 Managerial Finance
- MBAZ 604 Business Research Methods
- MBAZ 605 Business Law
- MBIS 601 Management of Information Systems
- MBUS 601 Marketing
- MBUS 602 Leadership
- MBUS 603 Managing People and Performance
- MFIN 601 Corporate Finance
- MFIN 602 Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
- MFIN 603 Financial Management
- MPAC 601 Professional Accounting Principles
- MPAC 602 Advanced Professional Accounting Principles
- MPAC 603 Advanced Management Accounting
- MPAC 604 Advanced Financial Accounting
- MPAC 605 Taxation
- MPAC 606 Management
- MPAC 607 Information Systems
- MPAC 608 Auditing
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2019||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$9,547|
|2020||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$9,740|
|2019||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$25,000|
|2020||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$27,500|
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Business.
For study planning help contact the Business Taught Masters Team or the College of Business and Law:
College of Business and Law | Te Rāngai Umanga me te Ture
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800