Postgraduate Diploma in Business Information Systems
There is an increasing demand for work-ready graduates who possess specialist skills from a postgraduate degree in Information Systems/ICT that complement their prior undergraduate studies. Information Systems courses at a postgraduate level can help graduates from different backgrounds gain a broad understanding of the world of business and technological solutions. This mix of 'business-savvy' and 'tech-savvy' skills mean IS graduates often become business analysts.
These graduates are seen as being a key component in developing and growing the business and ICT sectors, and the knowledge base in Waitaha Canterbury and Aotearoa New Zealand.
The UC Business School | Te Kura Umanga is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), placing it in the top five percent of business schools worldwide. Furthermore, UC's Information Systems/ICT students benefit from its location on the 'Silicon Plains' of Aotearoa New Zealand, where there are dozens of large, hi-tech companies employing UC graduates.
A bachelor's degree in any subject, with at least a B Grade Point Average in 300-level courses, is required. Students must be approved by the Dean of Business who will take account of the standard of previous studies and experience.
If English is your additional language, you are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Business Information Systems or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
The programme has intakes in February and August.
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Business Information Systems (PGDipBIS) consists of 120 points which is made up of eight courses (15 points each).
The Diploma can be studied full-time within 1 year, and can be started in February or August. It can also be studied part-time over a maximum of 4 years.
The programme contains both Information Systems and Business components.
Eight courses in total can be chosen from the following lists:
Information Systems elective courses
- MBIS 601 Management of Information Systems
- MBIS 602 Systems Analysis and Process Modelling
- MBIS 603 Digital Business and Technology
- MBIS 621 Project Management
- MBIS 622 IS Security and Risk Management
- MBIS 623 Data Management
- MBIS 624 Business Intelligence in Organisations
- 15 points from another relevant subject (at the appropriate level), which is subject to approval by the relevant Head of Department and the Dean of Business.
Business elective courses
- MBAZ 604 Business Research Methods
- MBAZ 601 Accounting for Managers
- MBAZ 602 Business Economics
- MBUS 650 Business Strategy
- 15 points from another relevant subject (such as Leadership, Marketing, Business Development, and Entrepreneurship) at the appropriate level, which is subject to approval by the relevant Head of Department and the Dean of Business.
The Postgraduate Diploma of Business Information Systems will provide students with the skills, knowledge, and competencies to undertake entry-level Information Systems-related roles within an organisation, such as those of a business analyst, business process analyst, and business intelligence analyst.
It is also a good foundation for developing further and moving into more advanced roles in IT management, which contribute to the strategic development of organisations through technology both in Aotearoa New Zealand and internationally. These more advanced roles could include IT consultant, IT project manager, and IT manager.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2020||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$9,740|
|2021||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$9,851|
|2020||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$27,500|
|2021||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$30,250|
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Business Information Systems.
For study planning help, please contact our Student Advisors:
College of Business and Law | Te Rāngai Umanga me te Ture
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800