Postgraduate Certificate in Science
UC offers a wide range of science subjects for students wanting to carry out postgraduate studies. The Postgraduate Certificate in Science (PGCertSc) is an ideal option for those wanting professional development in their scientific field, and for those with other commitments who cannot complete an extensive science programme.
Students will need to have a Bachelor of Science, or equivalent, or otherwise qualified for entry to the postgraduate study in your chosen subject as specified in the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Science or the Regulations for the Bachelor of Science with Honours. You may be required to first complete a preparatory programme in this case.
Students with English as an additional language are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Science or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Science includes 60 points of courses, with at least 45 points towards a single subjects chosen from either Schedule A for the Bachelor of Science with Honours or the Schedule for the Master of Science.
The Certificate can be completed in 6 months full-time, or up to 2 years part-time.
Students need to complete 60 points worth of courses at 400-level, including a minimum of 45 points in one of the following subjects. See Schedule A for the Bachelor of Science with Honours or the Schedule for the Master of Science for the courses for each subject:
- Antarctic Studies
- Applied Psychology
- Biological Sciences
- Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Child and Family Psychology
- Computational and Applied Mathematical Sciences
- Computer Science
- Data Science
- Environmental Science
- Evolutionary Biology (not open to new enrolments)
- Finance and Mathematics
- Finance and Statistics
- Financial Engineering
- Mathematical Physics
- Mathematics and Philosophy
- Medical Physics
- Medical Physics (Clinical)
- Plant Biology (not open to new enrolments)
- Speech and Language Sciences
- Zoology (not open to new enrolments)
Subject to the approval of the Academic Dean of Science, a student may transfer completed courses passed with a B Grade Point Average or higher for the Postgraduate Certificate in Science to:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Science
- Bachelor of Science with Honours
- a specialised science master’s degree (depending on your major).
A postgraduate qualification in a science subject will offer employers more advanced specialised knowledge and experience, leading to higher positions in industry.
Graduates will also be well placed to go onto research in their chosen scientific field.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|60||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection|| $3,694 - $4,300 |
$3,768 - $4,386
|60||Data Science; Philosophy (Band 1)||$3,694 |
|60||Economics; Finance; Finance and Mathematics; Finance and Statistics (Band 2)||$3,849 |
|60||Applied Psychology; Computational and Applied Mathematical Sciences; Computer Science; Financial Engineering; Geography; Mathematics and Philosophy; Psychology (Band 3)||$4,007 |
|60||Astronomy; Biochemistry; Biological Sciences; Biotechnology; Cellular and Molecular Biology; Chemistry; Environmental Science; Geology; Mathematical Physics; Medical Physics (inc. Clinical); Microbiology; Physics (Band 4)||$4,134 |
|60||Child and Family Psychology; Speech and Language Sciences (Band 7)||$4,300 |
|60||Ecology (Band 8)||$4,187 |
|60||Mathematics; Statistics (Band 9)||$3,877 |
|2019||60||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$18,300|
|2020||60||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$19,200|
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Science.
For study planning help contact the College of Science:
College of Science | Te Rāngai Pūtaiao
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800