First year, fully-catered. Facility provided by the University of Canterbury, and operated by UniLodge.
Tupuānuku has been awarded the Asia-Pacific Student Accommodation Award (APSAA) for excellence in Facility Development or Management
Tupuānuku is one of nine stars seen within the cluster of Matariki, Te Iwa o Matariki. It is the star that is connected to kai (food) and rongoā (traditional medicines) that is grown within the soil, or harvested from the ground. The rising of Matariki signals the new year within te ao māori and plays a significant role in the māramataka, the Māori lunar calendar, in determining and planning for the year ahead.
The largest new accommodation build to date, Tupuānuku offers 504 fully-furnished student rooms in 2021 with a focus on culture and lifestyle. Located amongst other halls of residence, the location on Homestead Lane (adjacent to the Ilam Homestead and gardens) is a short 5 minute walk to main campus facilities. The layout consists of long corridors divided into smaller colour-coded neighbourhoods or kāhui.
- Single rooms (approx 11-13m2) x 375 with shared bathroom (1:4 ratio)
- Single ensuite rooms (approx 14-15m2) x 100 (own bathroom)
- Single accessible rooms (approx 16-18m2) x 29 (own bathroom)
- Rooms contain king single bed, desk, chair, bookshelves, and double wardrobe with lockable drawer
- Options for catered or self-catered (self-catered not offered in 2022)
- Opened to first year students in 2021
On each floor are:
- Gender neutral bathrooms x 4 (3 basins, 3 toilets with basins, 2 shower rooms)
- Gender neutral bathrooms x 2 (3 basins, 3 toilets with basins, 2 shower rooms, 1 room with toilet, basin and shower)
- Ensuite rooms x 20
- Accessible rooms x 6
- Kitchenettes x 3
- Study rooms for individual or group study x 2
- Common room x 1
View all 360° panoramas and video.
Tupuānuku Virtual Tour
Take a virtual tour of our brand new facility - there are two "Starting Points" or you can view by room on either the "Ground Floor" or a "Residential Level". You can move from room to room by following the white or blue circle with your cursor. The blue indicates a transition to the next room.
To view a panorama of a room, left click and drag to navigate left, right, up or down.
Types of rooms available (NZ$)
Single room, fully-catered
$18,548 (41 weeks) - 2022 Fees
Ensuite room, fully-catered
$19,778 (41 weeks) - 2022 Fees
- King single bed
- Centrally heated
- Dining hall
- Shared kitchenettes
- Shared common spaces
- Individual and group study spaces
- Shared bathrooms or ensuites (own bathroom)
- Shared washing machines and dryers
- Wifi throughout
- Secure bike storage
Unlimited for UC students - an internet account is activated on acceptance of formal enrolment offer.
Saturday 12 February - Saturday 26 November 2022 (includes catering during term and semester breaks)
Your residential contract is directly between you and UniLodge. UC is working in partnership with UniLodge on pastoral care services.
$17,548 - Single room
$18,778 - Ensuite room
Administration fee (non-refundable)
Residential life fee
Contingency fee (refundable)
UC student car parking (optional)
or Dovedale campus special rate for hall residents - $198 (2021 rate)
Payments and instalment dates (NZ$)
Payment 1 (on acceptance of place)
$1,000 ($300 administration fee, $400 residential life fee, $300 contingency fee)
Payment 2 (17 January)
$2,135 (5 week's rent) - Single room
$2,285 (5 week's rent) - Ensuite room
$854 - Single room
$914 - Ensuite room
- Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of Domestic/International Students and how to raise a concern
- Meningitis Vaccines
- Tupuānuku Resident Handbook and House Rules
- UniLodge website
3 Homestead Lane
Upper Riccarton, Christchurch 8041
Waea: +64 27 247 6822