Wananga landing Wananga landing

Pastoral Code of Practice

05 June 2024

UC is committed to supporting the wellbeing of our students and takes practical action towards this goal with a range of policies, processes and support services designed to foster positive experiences and outcomes for all. Find out more about UC's responsibilities to ensure the care and support of students. 

The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021


What is the Code?

The Code sets out the minimum standards of non-academic advice and care that are expected of all NZ education providers to students, including international students, in New Zealand.


A summary of the Code

The Code sets standards for education providers to ensure that:

  • high professional standards are maintained
  • the recruitment of international students is undertaken in an ethical and responsible manner
  • information supplied to international students is comprehensive, accurate, and up-to-date
  • students are provided with information prior to entering into any commitments
  • contractual dealings with international students are conducted in an ethical and responsible manner
  • the particular needs of international students are recognised
  • international students under the age of 18 are in safe accommodation
  • all providers have fair and equitable internal procedures for the resolution of international student grievances

Full details of what is covered can be found in the Code itself. Copies of the Code are available from the NZQA website.


How is the Code implemented at UC?

UC offers students a wide range of support services and provides regular communications to students about areas and services covered by the Code. 

The University collaborates with UCSA Executives and student representatives to ensure students are supported, well-informed, and safe.  The University also works closely with Halls of Residence providers to ensure that code requirements are satisfied in student accommodation.

UC is involved in reporting processes managed through Universities New Zealand to evaluate compliance with the Code of Practice. These processes include senior staff members from the University and incorporate input from the UCSA and Te Akatoki to ensure that Student Voice is represented.


What do I do if I have a concern?

If you have concerns about your experience at UC, the first thing you should do is contact Student CareUCSA, or the University Grievance and Academic Processes Advisor to discuss your concerns and your options. For more information on the University's formal complaints process, please see the How to Raise a Concern page.

If you do this and you find your concerns are not resolved, you can pursue an external complaint through the NZQA. The NZQA can provide an independent assessment of your complaint and will either investigate your concerns or advise you what you can do next.

You can submit a complaint query on the NZQA website, or send an email to For more information, please contact the NZQA on 0800 697 296.

If your concern is about a financial or contractual dispute, you can contact Student Complaints or 0800 00 66 75. This is a free, independent service for international students.

Privacy Preferences

By clicking "Accept All Cookies", you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.