Sir Apirana Ngata, c.1945
UC/MBL/2028. Donated by Kathie and Helge Kristiansen 2008.
Location: Ilam Campus,
Te Ao Mārama Foyer:
See trail map No: 10# (PDF, 2.5KB)
Sir Apirana Turupa Ngata (1874-1950) of
Ngāti Porou was the first Māori graduate from the University of Canterbury. Ngata studied law and arts, completing a BA in political science in 1893. He then completed an LLB in 1896. Ngata went on to have an extensive political career as a Member of Parliament for Eastern Maori (1905-1943) and Minister of Native Affairs (1928-1934). He was also a revered leader of his people and a prolific scholar.
A bust of Apirana Ngata was commissioned by the New Zealand Government in 1942 in recognition of his achievements. This plaster ‘master’ was sculpted by Alexander Fraser and twice shipped to England so that two bronzes could be made from it, the second of which currently resides in Parliament Buildings in Wellington.