Master of Engineering Studies
The Master of Engineering Studies caters for professional engineers seeking advanced technical training, and is a taught-coursework master's degree with no thesis or research requirement. The MEngSt comprises a combination of 400 and 600-level courses that enables students to study a broad range of topics in their general area of expertise.
The MEngSt may be awarded endorsed in:
UC is ranked 285th in the world for Engineering and Technology (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2021).
UC is also ranked 9th in the world for Civil Engineering (Academic Ranking of World Universities, 2021), and in the top 100 universities in the world for Civil and Structural Engineering (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2021).
Students must normally have completed one of the following:
- Bachelor of Engineering with Honours with First or Second Class Honours
- Postgraduate Certificate in Engineering with a GPA of 5 or more
- Bachelor of Science with Honours with First or Second Class Honours in appropriate subjects.
Relevance and standard of previous study is the main criteria for approval.
Students wishing to enrol in postgraduate study must have completed both the academic and non-academic requirements of the prerequisite degree. This includes practical work days, work reports, a workshop training course, and a first aid certificate.
If English is your additional subject, you are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
How to apply
You will need to complete an application form for the MEngSt from Te Rāngai Pūkaha | College of Engineering website.
Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The MEngSt may be unendorsed, or awarded endorsed in the subjects below:
The MEngSt is made up of 120 points:
- Students doing an endorsement will complete 75 points of courses at 600-level in their relevant endorsement listed within Schedule E Group 1 to the Master of Engineering, and the remaining 45 points of courses are selected from within Schedule E Group 1 or 2 to the Master of Engineering.
- Students doing their degree unendorsed need to select 75 points of courses at 600-level from any options within Schedule E Group 1 to the Master of Engineering, and the remaining 45 points of courses are selected from within Schedule E Group 1 or 2 to the Master of Engineering.
The MEngSt takes 1 year full-time or 5 years part-time. Study for the degree will normally be full-time, but the College of Engineering Dean (Academic) may approve part-time enrolment.
UC offers a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) qualification in a variety of engineering subjects, including Civil Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Fire Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Transportation Engineering.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2020||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$8,814|
|2021||120||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$8,911|
|2021||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$44,000|
|2022||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$45,000|
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Master of Engineering Studies.
For study planning help, contact the College of Engineering:
Te Rāngai Pūkaha | College of Engineering
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800