Wananga landing Wananga landing

Student advice and forms

27 October 2023

UC's Faculty of Education Student Advice Team provides advice on course options and degree programmes.


If you are a prospective postgraduate student or current UC student and have questions regarding your course of study in education our Student Advice team are here to help.

Some of the things we can help you with are:

Getting started

  • Planning your programme of study including double degrees and double majors
  • Explaining your course options
  • Entry requirements
  • Workload

Transferring and cross-crediting

  • Transfer of credit from other New Zealand tertiary institutions
  • Cross-credit
  • Transferring between qualifications

Dealing with changes in your circumstances

  • Programme extensions
  • Exemptions from core-requirements or prerequisite waivers
  • Masters thesis suspensions
  • Masters thesis extensions
  • Part-time enrolment
  • Withdrawal from courses

Meeting requirements for graduation

  • Advice on eligibility to graduate

Dealing with study-related issues

  • Academic appeals

Postgraduate information

If you want to know about Masters thesis or PhD study, the following websites provide a useful starting place:

Distance study for Teaching (ITE) qualifications

The Faculty of Education offers a range of learning options for our teaching qualifications.  For students in a distance pathway, study (including teaching placements) must be completed in New Zealand. Find out more about how our distance learning options work.

Who do I contact if I need help with my study?

For course related matters - your lecturers are available via email and your Learn sites. 

For study and/or writing enquiries – contact The Academic Skills Centre

If things just aren’t right there is always someone to go to for help and advice.  Emailing or calling 0800 827 748 ext 93333, can be your first call if you need to discuss your options for assistance. Alternatively go to the Support site for student information

Limited full Time Status Applications

Please download the Limited Full Time Status from from Studylink

  1. Complete the student section of the form, including your signature
  2. Email the form to us at and include any supporting documents (eg a doctors letters) if required
  3. We will complete the UC section of the form, and email it back to you for you to upload to Studylink


For information about using your timetable, click here.

Transfer of Credit

In order to transfer your credit from another NZ university or institution to UC, we need 1) an original (preferably digital) transcript from your previous university or institution, and 2) a completed transfer of credit form, which you can find here: NZ Credit Transfer.

For transfer of credit applications from an overseas institution click here: Overseas Credit Transfer.


A normal full-time workload is 120 points across semester one and two, with 60 points in each semester.  The maximum workload is 75 points in one semester.  Excess workloads are seldom approved; applications can be made by completing this form: Study with an excess workload and emailing the form to

Waiver of Prerequisite

Applications for waivers of prerequisite can be made by completing this form: Exemption from a prerequisite or co-requisite and emailing this form to

General information

  • Information on fees and funding can be found on the University website.
  • General information for Current Students can also be found there. Detailed information for current and continuing Teacher Education students can be found on the  page.
  • If you are not currently enrolled at the Faculty of Education you will find useful information on the  page.

International students

We have International students studying with us from all over the world.  about studying at UC and life in Christchurch and New Zealand. 

Support for Māori and Pasifika students

There are numerous support programmes, mentoring and fun activities for Māori and Pasifika students at UC.

Te Waka Pākākāno | Office of the Assistant Vice-Chancellor Māori, Pacific and Equity offers a wide range of events, support programmes and services for all UC Māori students. Find out more.

The Pacific Development Team runs many events throughout the University year as well as offering support and services to support Pasifika students. Find out more.

PhD students

Any queries should be directed to the PhD Administrator in the Postgraduate Office.

Support Services at UC

UC has a huge array of support services to help you before and during your time at UC. Take a look at the  and take advantage of the help they have to offer or any of the support services listed below.

Student Care Advisors

The Student Care Team offers guidance on developing your life skills outside of the classroom to enhance your personal wellbeing and chances for success. You may have a particular question or concern, but sometimes you may be referred to us because you are struggling generally or have a challenge with a particular aspect of academic life.

Advisors can assist students in areas as diverse as personal problems affecting study, extension and aegrotat queries, adjustment to university life, and social and cultural concerns.  

See the Student Care webpage for contact details.

Contact us

For programme enquiries, please email us outlining your enquiry or request.

In order to book an appointment, click on a Student Advisor's profile below.

Interested in studying with us?

Privacy Preferences

By clicking "Accept All Cookies", you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.