Wananga landing Wananga landing

Transfer credit from a NZ tertiary institution

22 November 2023

You can apply to have credits transferred from another New Zealand university or tertiary institution towards your UC qualification. 



Only study completed in the last five years will normally be considered for credit transfer, and must be from a qualification that has not been conferred. Your previous study must be at NZQF Level 5 or higher from a New Zealand university or tertiary institute. For more information see the Credit Recognition and Transfer Regulations.


Credit transfers are not automatic. Applications are reviewed individually on a case-by-case basis. If your application is not successful, you have the option to appeal the decision. Information on the appeals process will be provided with the outcome of your application.


Bachelor of Laws

If you are applying for the Bachelor of Laws and already have a non-law degree, you are likely exempted from the non-law requirements and do not need to apply for credit. Contact the Faculty of Law during October of the year before your intended enrolment year to be eligible for this exemption. A copy of your transcript will still be required.

If you have an incomplete bachelor's degree, you might still be eligible for the exemption but need to apply for your credits to be transferred towards the Bachelor of Laws.


How credits are calculated for NZ universities

Most universities in NZ have a 360-point undergraduate degree structure with 15 point courses at all levels equating to 0.125 EFTS. This includes the University of Canterbury (UC), The University of Auckland, Auckland University of Technology, Victoria University of Wellington, University of Waikato, Massey University, and Lincoln University. Usually 1 point in an undergraduate degree at each of these universities is of equivalent value, i.e. 1 point at UC = 1 point at Waikato. The exception to this is the University of Otago which offers 18 point courses with a value of 0.15 EFTS. 


UC Student ID

You will need a UC Student ID number for your application to be considered, so will need to either be a UC student or have submitted an application to enrol in myUC


Required documents

Request a digital (My eQuals) transcript from the institution(s) at which you have credit. They will send you information on how to set up a My eQuals account and share your transcript securely with UC. Alternatively, you can provide a certified copy of your academic transcript.

If you're applying for credit transfer towards a teaching qualification you will also need to supply the learning outcomes of each course you are seeking credit for.


Application Fee

The application fee is NZD $100 and is non-refundable. Once you have submitted the form, you will be directed to the payment page. Your application will be assessed once payment is received and you will be notified of the outcome via email. 



If you have had the qualification conferred, you may instead apply for cross-credit of up to 120 points. 


Credit Transfer for international study

If you have completed study at an overseas university or tertiary institution, apply for credit transfer here

Apply for credit transfer from domestic study to a UC qualification

See the Credit Recognition and Transfer Regulations for more information. 

Privacy Preferences

By clicking "Accept All Cookies", you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.