My research interests are broadly around exploring ways to hold organisations, businesses and governments accountable for their social, environmental, cultural and economic impacts. This is geared towards imagining and creating positive and just futures. This includes a specific focus on Indigenous development and decolonisation, and social environmental accounting/accountability. My doctoral research, for example, explored relationships of accountability within and between Indigenous organisations and Indigenous communities through decolonising methodologies.
Currently I am pursuing research projects related to Indigenous development in Aotearoa New Zealand and the Pacific, community economies in a regenerating Christchurch, democratic accountability in Aotearoa New Zealand and the role of accounting techniques and accountability relations in the dispossession of Indigenous lands, bodies and self-determining authority.
- Finau G. and Scobie M. (2021) Old ways and new means: Indigenous accountings during and beyond the pandemic. Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/AAAJ-08-2020-4753.
- Scobie M., Finau G. and Hallenbeck J. (2021) Land, land banks and land back: Accounting, social reproduction and Indigenous resurgence. Environment and Planning A: Economy and Space : 0308518X2110608-0308518X2110608. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0308518x211060842.
- Scobie M., Lee B. and Smyth S. (2021) Braiding together student and supervisor aspirations in a struggle to decolonize. Organization 28(5): 857-875. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/13505084211015370.
- Dombroski K., Diprose G., Sharp E., Graham R., Lee L., Scobie M., Richardson S., Watkins A. and Martin-Neuninger R. (2020) Food for people in place: reimagining resilient food systems for economic recovery. Sustainability (Switzerland) 12(22): 1-17. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/su12229369.
- Healy S., Scobie M. and Dombroski K. (2020) Grounded! COVID-19 and Recovering Postcapitalist Possibility in Place. Rethinking Marxism: a journal of economics, culture and society.