Master of Business Administration
The University of Canterbury’s Master of Business Administration (MBA) programme is a key professional milestone for many aspiring and accomplished business leaders. By focusing on collaboration with industry, the UC MBA produces well-rounded leaders capable of creating and growing international organisations through innovation, digital transformation, data-informed strategy making, and responsible societal engagement.
The programme facilitates opportunities to attend seminars, guest lectures, and networking events, in addition to the course structure which incorporates compulsory and elective courses as well as a consulting project.
The MBA offers a chance to upskill through postgraduate study, make a career change, and gain relevant business connections and experiences.
UC's MBA is accredited by AMBA which is the global standard for MBA's. Only the top two per cent of business schools internationally offer AMBA accredited programmes. Te Kura Umanga | UC Business School is also accredited by AACSB and EQUIS; only one percent of business schools in the world have attained all three.
Ben Gough Family Foundation Leaders Scholarship
The Ben Gough Family Foundation Leaders Scholarship supports rising talent to undertake their MBA at UC. For more information, visit the Ben Gough Family Foundation Leaders Scholarship page.
Students must be approved by the Dean of Business, who will take account of the relevance and standard of previous studies and experience.
Any bachelor's degree, or the Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration, must have been completed with good grades, and at least five years' work experience is required.
If English is your additional language, you are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements, see the Regulations for the Master of Business Administration or use the admission requirements checker.
Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration pathway
You may choose to first enrol in the Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration and later progress into the full MBA programme. The Diploma includes the same core courses as the MBA, and you will attend the same classes as MBA students.
Contact the Master of Business Administration Team on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How to apply
See the MBA application process for details of entry requirements, application forms, and start dates.
Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The structure of the Master of Business Administration programme is closely prescribed, and consists of compulsory courses, electives, and a consulting project.
The degree may be completed in a minimum of 16 months full-time study, or part-time in up to 5 years.
Domestic students can begin their studies in February, May, or August.
For international students the programme starts in February.
The MBA Schedule incorporates 125 points of compulsory courses, 10 points of elective courses, and a consulting project of 45 points.
Students who started their MBA degree before 2022 will follow a different structure. Contact the Master of Business Administration Team for more information and help planning courses.
- MBAM601 Digital Transformation and Technology Preparedness
- MBAM602 Economic Uncertainty and Organisational Agility
- MBAM603 Innovation-driven Customer Value
- MBAM604 Data Informed Strategy
- MBAM605 Creating impact led enterprises
- MBAM610 Agile and Innovative-driven Leadership
- MBAM614 Business research Methods
- MBAM615 Managerial Finance
- MBAM620 Creative Challenge
- MBAD606 Marketing Principles
- MBAD653 Negotiating Business Development Across Cultures
- MBAM613 Societies in Smart Cities
Not all courses will be offered in a given year.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See more information about UC's Business Administration programmes.
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Master of Business Administration.
For study planning help, contact the Master of Business Administration Team.
Te Kura Umanga | UC Business School
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800