How to apply
Entry into our MBA and PGDiPBA programmes is based on work experience as well as results of previous study (if applicable). These programmes have a special application process.
- Decide on your qualification of choice, and check whether you’re eligible to apply with the Check What You Need tool.
- Go to the student portal, myUC, and create an account. Follow the instructions to submit an application, and upload documents such as your academic transcripts and CV (resume).
- After you’ve submitted your application, we’ll contact you to request the rest of your application materials, including your self-interview video. We’ll send you instructions on how to prepare these.
Once you’ve sent all your application materials, your application will be reviewed by the MBA Director and the Dean of Business, before we send you a decision.
Applicants to our MBA programme must have qualified for a degree in any discipline with a minimum B grade average or equivalent. If your qualifications were gained outside New Zealand, the Programme Committee will assess them for equivalency.
Applicants who do not meet this requirement can apply for admission to the Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration (PGDipBA) and will be considered for entry on the basis of work experience.
For the Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration (PGDipBA), you must have at least five years' work experience at an appropriate level.
Your application will be assessed by the Programme Committee, who will consider a combination of the following:
- Whether the decision to undertake the qualification has been well reasoned and that you are clear on how it will contribute to your career
- Whether you are able to contribute to the programme in class, in groups and to the general ethos of the programme
- Your supporting references
- Your past and current employment experience
- Your future vision and goals, including your direction and motivation
If you are applying with qualifications gained outside New Zealand, you need to provide evidence of your English language skills. The University accepts the following test results for entry to the MBA or PGDipBA.
Note the University can only accept test scores from one sitting: you cannot combine scores from multiple attempts. The English Language test must have been taken within two (2) years of the proposed study start date.
|Approved English tests||Minimum Requirements|
|IELTS Academic||An average score of 7.0, with a minimum of 6.5 in reading, writing, listening and speaking|
|TOEFL iBT||Total minimum score of 100, minimum score of 23 in reading, writing and listening. Please note UC only accepts TOEFL iBT scores from a single test date, not MyBest scores.|
|TOEFL PBT||With a minimum score of 575 and TWE with a minimum score of 4.5|
|CCEL EAP||Level 2 with a minimum A grade|
|CAE or CPE||Score of 176 with a minimum of 169 in reading, writing, listening and speaking|
|Pearson Test of English (Academic)||PTE with an overall score of 65 and no PTE communicative skills score below 58|