Certificate in Sport Coaching
Designed for working professionals from any walk of life who want to develop their skills and knowledge in the area of Sport Coaching, this Certificate can be completed by distance around your other commitments.
Coaches can complement and enhance their work-based skills; or if you are currently not employed in the sporting industry, you can develop skills and competencies to support your knowledge and performance in the area of Sport Coaching and related fields.
- Choose from a range of courses that suit your specific area of interests, which include practical work and labs.
- Develop your work-based skills as a coach, or gain knowledge to increase your employability in the sporting industry.
- Complete four courses at 100 and/or 200-level from the Bachelor of Sport Coaching degree. These can be completed in part-time study, full-time study, on campus, or at home.
- Credits from this Certificate can be transferred to the Bachelor of Sport Coaching and some other degrees.
Admission to UC with University Entrance (or equivalent) is required to enrol.
If English is your additional language, you are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For information on the enrolment process, please see how to apply for undergraduate qualifications.
Certificate in Sport Coaching – example degree structure
Each block represents a 15-point course. However, some courses may be 30 points or more.
This diagram is an example only – other combinations are possible. For specific course requirements, see the Regulations for the Certificate in Sport Coaching.
The Certificate in Sport Coaching is made up of 60 points of courses at 100 and 200-level from Bachelor of Sport Coaching courses.
The Certificate can be completed part-time over 1 year, or up to 2 years part-time.
Credit can be transferred to the Bachelor of Sport Coaching, provided you have not graduated with the Certificate (and no more than five years has elapsed).
The Certificate is made up of the following courses:
- SPCO101 Introduction to Sport Coaching OR SPCO102 Theoretical Foundations of Coaching and Teaching
- SPCO201 Learner-Centred Teaching and Coaching
- Two courses at 100 and/or 200-level chosen from Sport Coaching courses
The Certificate is great preparation for the Bachelor of Sport Coaching.
Sport Coaching graduates have a range of career opportunities in the health, education, and sporting industries. Some potential roles can include sport team coaches, health and nutritional advisors, physical education teachers, and in work demanding high physical capability such as the police.
Graduates may also make good managers and project planners with their expertise in leadership skills.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2023||60||Fee estimate. Actual fee will be determined by course selection.||$3,282|
|2022||60||Fee estimate. Actual fee will be determined by course selection.||$3,194|
|Year||Points||Info||Fees (NZD)||Fees (NZD) Excl GST|
|2022||60||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$14,400||$12,522|
|2023||60||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$15,000||$13,043|
See more information about our Sport Coaching programmes.
For the full degree requirements, see the Regulations for the Certificate in Sport Coaching.
For study planning help, contact a Student Advisor.
For more information on facilities, resources, and staff, see Te Kaupeka Oranga | Faculty of Health.
For more general information, email email@example.com or freephone 0800 VARSITY (827 748).