Need to talk?
Kia ora koutou, our thoughts are with you all as we navigate these trying times. Student Care is committed to doing what is best for students. The University remains committed to public safety around COVID-19. For the latest updates from UC, please see here.
The Student Care Team are now back on campus, we are also still able to phone and Zoom with students if this is your preference. We prefer that if you are coming in to see us that you book an appointment using the online booking system below.
Important: In the ‘notes’ section comment whether you prefer a face to face, zoom (video) appointment or a phone call. Please ensure you leave your current phone number and your student ID.
Alternatively, students who need advice or support can continue to email firstname.lastname@example.org which is being monitored daily.
We remain committed to supporting students as much as we can over this period, and understand the additional pressure that the current situation is having on many students and their families
Falling behind in your studies? Having problems with your landlord? Feeling like it's all a bit of a struggle? Student Care Advisors are your support team. The service is free to access and available to all students at the University of Canterbury, including off campus (distance) students.
Whether you are a domestic or international student, we can talk with you about your situation, help you to figure out your options, and work out the best way forward.
You can talk with a Student Care Advisor by phoning, emailing, making an appointment or dropping in to see if we are free. See our contact page for details, or click the button below to email.
- Support service for all domestic and international students, including distance students
- Free to access
- Multiple ways to get in contact with us
'You were able to gather quite a lot of information for me in a short time and identify a 'big picture' then build a realistic plan of action—something I was far too overwhelmed to do alone.'
—A student talking about Student Care
Things we can help with
- Getting started at UC
- If you miss out on an orientation or just have some questions
- Finding your way around, figuring out transportation, shopping
- Challenges and concerns
- Financial issues, including hardship and Studylink
- Accommodation issues
- Communication issues, including flatmates, other students and staff
- Assistance with writing challenging emails/letters
- If you are unwell and need someone to help you work out how to manage and/or let your teachers know
- If you need a support person to accompany you to a challenging meeting
- International student support
- Understanding New Zealand culture and living in New Zealand (check out NauMaiNZ for a great resource to help with adjusting to living in New Zealand)
- Intercultural communication
- Tricky visa situations (for general enquiries, contact email@example.com)
- Insurance policy wording and claims (for purchase enquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Getting on top of things
- Motivation and procrastination
- If you fall behind on classes or are failing a course
- Juggling commitments, planning study, and goal setting
- Short term support as you get back on track
- Managing the impact of mental illness/stressors on your study
- Be a central contact person for you at UC to assist you with queries and contacting the right people
- Help understanding UC
- Navigating campus, connecting with services
- Understanding UC policies and processes
- Mature student and postgraduate student needs
- Understanding and filling in Special Consideration applications for assessment, late discontinuation and partial refunds
- Confidential advice on how to appeal a decision or make a complaint
- Support throughout a UC process, such as Academic Progress Review
- Making the most of your time here
- Connecting with services, people and opportunities
Don’t see your concern here? No problem! Contact us and we’ll let you know if we can help.
'But the thing that is really valuable for me, and will never forget, is your help and support. Now, I think I am not alone here.'
An international student talking about Student Care
Who else can I talk to?
There are a wide range of people available at the University of Canterbury to offer you support, help and guidance. Common services we refer to include:
- UC Health Centre
- Academic Skills Centre
- College Student Advisors (Arts, Business & Law, Education, Engineering, and Science)
- Equity and Disability Service
- Careers, Internships & Employment
- Student Experience (eg, Mentoring Programmes or UniLife)
- UC Chaplaincy
- Māori Student Development Team
- Pacific Development Team
If you would like to contact one of these groups directly, click on any of the links above for further information.
Who can help me in an emergency?
Student Care intro video
Ok so, being completely honest, we probably wouldn't win an Oscar for it! However, this video is great for highlighting ways in which we can help