Postgraduate Certificate in Business
The Postgraduate Certificate in Business is an applied commerce qualification that focuses on developing skills, knowledge, and competencies expected by potential employers from UC Business School | Te Kura Umanga graduates. It provides a pathway qualification into the Postgraduate Diploma in Business, which leads into the Master of Business, Master of Professional Accounting, and Master of Financial Management.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Business equips graduates with general knowledge and skills applicable to business, which can then be applied in graduate positions across a wide range of industries. This Certificate provides a qualification with some of the core business skills required by industry.
As part of the Business Taught Masters programme at UC, this qualification enables you to increase your employability by gaining business skills that complement your existing professional or academic background. Candidates with a degree from any discipline may apply and no prior experience in commerce is required.
The UC Business School | Te Kura Umanga is ranked in the top five percent in the world as part of the accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). UC ranks in the top 250 universities in the world for Business and Management Studies (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2020).
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of current theoretical concepts, frameworks, and industry practice within the fields of business and management.
- Think logically, analytically, and critically with respect to the academic and professional literature within the field of business.
- Synthesise academic and professional literature and effectively communicate this information and research findings, both orally and in written form, to a range of audiences.
Students must have a bachelor's degree, or equivalent, and be approved by the Dean of Business.
Students with English as an additional language are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Business or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
The programme has intakes in February and August.
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
A total of four courses must be completed to obtain the Postgraduate Certificate in Business.
The Certificate can be started in either February or August. It takes 6 months of full-time study to complete, or up to 2 years part-time.
The courses available for the Postgraduate Certificate in Business are drawn from the core knowledge courses required as part of the Master of Business Management, Master of Financial Management, and Master of Professional Accounting.
Students must complete four courses (60 points) from the list:
- MBAZ 601 Accounting for Managers
- MBAZ 602 Business Economics
- MBAZ 603 Managerial Finance
- MBAZ 604 Business Research Methods
- MBAZ 605 Business Law
- MBUS 601 Marketing
- MBUS 602 Leadership
- MBUS 603 Managing People and Performance
- MFIN 601 Corporate Finance
- MFIN 602 Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
- MFIN 603 Financial Management
- MPAC 601 Professional Accounting Principles
- MPAC 602 Advanced Professional Accounting Principles
- MPAC 603 Advanced Management Accounting
- MPAC 604 Advanced Financial Accounting
- MPAC 605 Taxation
- MPAC 606 Management
- MPAC 607 Information Systems
- MPAC 608 Auditing
The PGCertBus provides the skills and competencies that will allow graduates to gain employment within the private and public sector in relevant business positions. Graduates will gain the confidence to challenge existing commercial practice and participate in the development of new and innovative business strategies.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Business.
For study planning help contact the Business Taught Masters Team or the College of Business and Law:
College of Business and Law | Te Rāngai Umanga me te Ture
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800