Student advice

© Restricted/University of Canterbury

Kia ora, 
The College of Arts Student Advice Team are working remotely during the current COVID-19 lockdown. Please continue to email us or use our online contact form below. You're welcome to book a phone or Zoom appointment for advice during lockdown.

Our student advisors can help with degree planning and much more:

  • Degree planning, including double degrees and double majors
  • Explaining your course options
  • Semester planning (e.g., work load)
  • Understanding the University Calendar and degree regulations
  • Advice on eligibility to graduate
  • Transfer of credits from other New Zealand tertiary institutions
  • Permissions to take courses elsewhere for credit to a UC degree
  • Cross-crediting between several undergraduate degrees
  • Transferring between degrees
  • Approval of entry to courses and degrees
  • Exemptions, such as waivers of prerequisites or core-requirements
  • Withdrawal from courses
  • Suspensions
  • Extensions
  • Part-time enrolment at Master's level
  • Appeals

Visit our Qualifications and courses page to find out about your options.

Departments and Schools
The individual Departments and Schools within the College of Arts can answer questions about course selection and can offer advice about course suitability. We can help you with the level of courses and the number of points you are required to take in order to qualify at the end of your studies.

Maori students
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha offers a welcoming environment for Māori students and provides support and encouragement for Māori to achieve academic excellence. Find out more

Pasifika students
The University of Canterbury provides a welcoming and supportive environment for students of Pacific heritage. Academic and cultural support services have been designed to ensure that you get the most out of both your studies and your free time. Find out more

Students with disabilities
For advice on support for students with a disability, please see the Equity & Disability Service. Find out more

Student Support
The Student Support team provides a range of services, support and useful information for students, both domestic and international students. Find out more

Career advice and planning
UC Careers and Employment provides advice and resources for job seeking, (including CV development) and information about prospective jobs and employers. Find out more

Academic support
The Academic Skills Centre is a free service that offers writing and study advice, resources and support for students from first-year through to PhD. Contact the ASC

For various other student services please see the Current Students website.

If you wish to add, change or discontinue any of your current courses you must follow the correct procedure.

A change of enrolment application should be submitted online and goes through an approval process via the relevant department/school and the College Office.

Key dates for enrolment changes

Before you make the change, make sure you are aware of the key dates for enrolment and withdrawal from courses.

Course change process

To make changes to your current enrolment:

  1. Go to MyUC.
  2. Login using your University student "Username" and "Password".
  3. Click on the "Enrolment" button.
  4. Proceed with your change of enrolment application, following the instructions and make sure you complete the application by clicking on "submit".

If you have not heard anything about your change of enrolment application within one week, please contact the Enrolment Contact Centre or the College Office to find out what the status of your application is.

What happens next?

Once a change has been approved, you will be emailed or posted a notification of change which must be accepted in order for the change to be finalised. Approvals are based on meeting the required prerequisites for a course, your workload (number of points enrolled in) and degree requirements.

If a change is not approved, your application will be declined. The College Office may also contact you, in order to offer advice about your options.

How will my loan, allowance and fees be affected?

Changing or withdrawing from your courses will have implications for your fees. If you have a student allowance and/or loan, these may be affected as well. You should make sure you know exactly what the implications will be for you, BEFORE you put through an application for a change of enrolment.


Before you make a change to your enrolment, you may wish to get some academic advice. You can contact the relevant department or contact the Student Advisors in the College of Arts.

Forms you may require at UC can be found at the links below. Please contact us if you need advice or guidance about any of these forms. 

The College of Arts Student Advisors are located on Level 1 of the Locke building, UC Ilam campus. 

You can email us at or call the College of Arts at +6433693377.

Contact an Arts student advisor

Please fill in our contact form so we can get back to you.

Where to find us

College of Arts

Student Advisors
Level 1, Elsie Locke Building
Internal Phone: 93377