Human Resource Management
Whakahaerenga Pūmanawa Tangata
Human Resource Management is about attracting, developing, and managing staff; and creating a workplace culture where people are safe, engaged, and motivated to give their best.
At the heart of HRM is connecting with people and focusing on the employee experience in order to get the most out of an organisation’s talent.
- A wide range of topics including leadership, communication, managing change and innovation, learning and development, and performance management.
- In your final year of study, you may have the opportunity to complete an internship project within a host organisation on a specific human resource challenge.
- You can study a minor in Human Resource Management within a range of different bachelor’s degrees alongside your other studies of choice.
Human Resource Management major
For the major in the Bachelor of Commerce, complete the following courses:
- MGMT206 Organisational Behaviour
- MGMT207 Principles of Human Resources Management
- MGMT230 Business, Society and the Environment
- MGMT301 Leading Change and Innovation
- MGMT303 Leading and Managing People: Essential Employment Frameworks
- MGMT308 Advanced Human Resource Management
- One of these elective courses
For the complete three-year Human Resource Management major degree plan, see Te Kura Umanga | UC Business School website.
Human Resource Management minor
For the minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Commerce, Digital Screen, Health Sciences, Science, Social and Environmental Sustainability, Sport Coaching, or Youth and Community Leadership, complete the following courses:
Your studies will give you lots of practical skills like strategic planning, communication, research, and writing. You will learn how to place the wellbeing of people in the context of various organisational challenges.
Some career pathways could include:
- Human resources advisor
- Learning and development consultant
- Recruitment advisor
- People and culture coordinator.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Human Resource Management.
Te Tari Whakahaere, Whakatairanga, Tāpoi | Department of Management, Marketing and Tourism
Phone +64 3 369 3888
Reception Level 2, Meremere Building – see campus maps
Te Kura Umanga | UC Business School
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Human Resource Management
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Management involves organising teams of people and boosting business performance.Explore how businesses function, and how you can influence processes, ...
Business Analytics brings in data from areas such as accounting, marketing, and economics to help make better business decisions, improve customer services, ...