Postgraduate Certificate in Product Innovation
The global market needs more innovative thinkers that can design new products and experiences to make life safer, easier, and more rewarding, or even start their own business venture.
UC’s Postgraduate Certificate in Product Innovation offers students from any study background advanced practical and theoretical skills in creating products for entertainment, homeware, cosmetics, IT, food, healthcare, and many other industries.
Students with any previous bachelor’s degree study (or other qualifications of an equivalent standard) and a B Grade Point Average in their final-year courses are open to enrol.
Students with English as an additional language are also required to meet UC’s English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Product Innovation or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Product Innovation has a total of 60 points, made up of 30 points of compulsory courses and 30 points of optional courses.
Starting in February or July 2021, the programme requires 6 months of full-time study. Part-time study is also available for up to 2 years.
The PGCertProdInnovation is made up of compulsory courses and a selection of optional courses, including at least one course focused on business skills.
Select at least one of the following:
If choosing only one of the courses above, select one more course from the following:
- PROD 611 Design and Manufacture
- PROD 612 Bio-Inspired Design
- PROD 613 Development of Interdisciplinary Practice and Self
- PROD 614 Design Ethics
- PROD 621 Games for Health & Wellbeing
- PROD 622 Immersive Collaborative Play and Design
- PROD 623 Gamification for Enterprises
- PROD 631 Fragrance Design
- PROD 632 Special Topics in Cosmetic Product Formulation
- any 400-level course approved by the Dean of Engineering (Academic)
Companies are continuously looking for graduates that have both technical and entrepreneurial skills to take their products to the next level.
Product Design graduates can work within a variety of roles, from market research, concept design, manufacturing, or advertising aspects of the commercial lifecycle.
Our students are especially well equipped to launch their own company.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Product Innovation.
For study planning help contact the School of Product Design | Te Kura Hanga Otinga or the College of Engineering:
College of Engineering | Te Rāngai Pūkaha
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800