Master of Music
The Master of Music allows students to take composition or performance studies to a more advanced technical level, and to gain breadth and depth of appreciation in their specialist field. It is an ideal pathway for those interested in undertaking a completely research-based degree.
The Master of Music may be awarded with Distinction or Merit.
You must have completed the equivalent of a Bachelor of Music with Honours with at least a B Grade Point Average, and been approved to enrol. You should choose courses carefully to ensure prerequisites have been met.
Evidence of musical ability is required for entry – see 'How to apply' below.
If English is your additional language, you are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
How to apply
See Te Kaupeka Toi Tangata | Faculty of Arts website for the MMus application form and enrolment process.
- Evidence of composition quality is required.
- Entry to the performance option is limited and applications for auditions are required. Applications close on 15 September of the preceding year. Subject to approval by the Programme Coordinator.
Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2023||120||Fee estimate. Actual fee will be determined by course selection.||$8,117|
|2022||120||Fee estimate. Actual fee will be determined by course selection.||$7,900|
|Year||Points||Info||Fees (NZD)||Fees (NZD) Excl GST|
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Master of Music.
For study planning help, contact Te Kura Puoro | School of Music.
Te Kaupeka Toi Tangata | Faculty of Arts
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800