Graduate Certificate in Sport Coaching
The Graduate Certificate in Sport Coaching is an online, flexible learning qualification that enables students to fit Sport Coaching studies around their busy professional and personal lives.
The GradCertSpC will provide practising coaches and those employed in the sports industry the opportunity to develop their professional coaching skills. The GradCertSpC is also available to students who are not currently employed in the industry, but wish to develop skills and competencies to gain employment in performance Sport Coaching contexts.
The programme offers:
- a unique professional certificate that can be completed in a short timeframe
- strong practical element
- leads to a range of careers in Sport Coaching and related fields
- flexible learning option, allowing distance study.
Students wishing to enrol in the Graduate Certificate in Sport Coaching must have one of the following:
- completed an approved bachelor's degree, or equivalent, or
- satisfied the Dean of Education and Health Sciences that, based on relevant post-secondary school study and work experience, they are suitably qualified for entry.
Approval of entry based on post-secondary school study and work experience would be likely to include a minimum of five years of sport-related work experience and accompanying industry qualifications (for example NZRU Advanced Coaching Course Certificate, NZ Football Senior Level 2 Coaching Certificate, or Advanced Youth Coaching Certificate). Approval for course entry in this instance would be determined by a Selection Committee from the School of Health Sciences | Te Kura Mātai Hauora.
Students with English as an additional language are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Graduate Certificate in Sport Coaching or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
To complete the Graduate Certificate in Sport Coaching you must pass courses with a total value of at least 60 points, including a practical placement.
You may enrol full-time or part-time according to your interests and needs. Usually the Certificate takes 6 months full-time, or up to 3 years part-time.
Distance study option
The Certificate offers the three compulsory courses as either online distance study or on-campus. If you would like all of your courses to be studied by distance, please ensure your optional course choice is also available by distance.
By enrolling in the GradCertSpC distance courses you will be supported through online resources, discussion forums, recorded lectures, slides, video tutorials, and other electronic media.
The qualification is a unique blend of practical application and theory which immerses you in the sociological, pedagogical, and scientific aspects of sport and sport coaching. Theory and practice are linked through the completion of the practicum course where you can select a performance sport coaching context according to your interests and areas of specialisation.
You will complete three compulsory 15-point courses, and one further 15-point course from 200 or 300-level Sport Coaching courses.
The Graduate Certificate in Sport Coaching will develop your knowledge and expertise in contemporary sport coaching skills and also gives you the chance to develop leadership and planning, strength and conditioning, performance analysis, rehabilitation and reconditioning, and nutrition skills.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Graduate Certificate in Sport Coaching.
For study planning help contact the College of Education, Health and Human Development:
College of Education, Health and Human Development | Te Rāngai Ako me te Hauora
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800