Wananga landing Wananga landing

4. Apply for your student visa

22 November 2023

If you're studying in New Zealand as an international student you need a valid student visa. Find out how and when to apply. 


Apply for your student visa

You will need a student visa for the full period of study outlined in your Offer of Place. 

Apply on the Immigration New Zealand website.

You will normally need to provide the following documents with your student visa application:

  • An Offer of Place from UC for full-time study (this will be in your Document Library in myUC)
  • Evidence that you have paid your tuition fees in full (e.g. a receipt)
  • Your passport and acceptable passport-style photos
  • Proof of funds ($20,000 per year) to cover your living expenses
  • A copy of your air ticket home, or proof that you have enough money to buy one
  • (If you're under 18, an accommodation guarantee)
  • Your visa application fee

You may also be asked to provide a chest x-ray or medical certificate. 

More visa information


TIP: if you're coming to UC from a NZ secondary school, ask your school for proof of attendance before it closes for the summer break to include with your student visa application.


TIP: If you are a continuing UC student and have a student visa due to expire in three months or less, you should prepare your visa application documentation and submit your visa application at least one month before your visa expiry date.

Privacy Preferences

By clicking "Accept All Cookies", you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.