Academic Progress Reviews

The University of Canterbury monitors the academic progress of all students.

At the end of each semester, the records of students who have failed to make satisfactory academic progress will be reviewed by their college. During this process, the students’ academic transcripts are considered to assess their likelihood of success, as well as ensuring they are able to meet the professional requirements for their chosen degree. Students found to have made unsatisfactory academic progress may have restrictions placed on their enrolment, or be excluded from their award/college/UC.

During this process, the University communicates with all students whose grades are of concern to direct them toward the help and support they need, or towards other avenues in which they may be more successful.

About Academic Progress Reviews

Grades are analysed twice yearly, after mid-year and end-of-year course results are released. Criteria to trigger a review include:

  • Not passing half or more of the points a student is enrolled in.
  • GPA for the current year of less than 1.0.
  • Failure to demonstrate competence in the professional requirements.
  • Withdrawal from more than half of enrolled courses in the preceding two years.
  • Failure to demonstrate any likelihood of success.

See Academic Progress Regulations in the UC Calendar

  • A+ = 9
  • A = 8
  • A- = 7
  • B+ = 6
  • B = 5
  • B- = 4
  • C+ = 3
  • C = 2
  • C- = 1
  • D = 0
  • E = -1
  • X = -3

The GPA is based on an average calculated by multiplying each grade's value by the course's points to achieve a Grade Point Total, which is then divided by the total number of points taken. See the example below.


Course codeGradeGrade valuePointsGrade point totalGPA
TREO 111 B- 4 15 60  
SOCI 112 C 2 15 30  
PSYC 105 C- 1 15 15  
PSYC 106 D 0 15 0  
LAWS 101 C- 1 30 30  
      90 135 1.5 (135 ÷ 90) 



Students who meet the criteria for an Academic Progress Review may receive one of the following:

  • Warning: This may be given if a continuing student has not made sufficient academic progress. Restrictions can be placed on the number of points the student may enrol in.
  • Exclusion from an award or college: This may be given if a student has previously been given a warning and has not made sufficient academic progress in a subsequent round. These exclusions prevent the student from continuing to study in in the same qualification, any subjects in that qualification or in that college.
  • Exclusion from the University: This may be given if a student has previously been given an exclusion from an award or college and has not made sufficient academic progress in a subsequent semester. This exclusion prevents the student from continuing to study at the University of Canterbury.

Students are notified of outcomes via email the week following the release of grades and are able to request a review of a decision. It is important to check UClive email to ensure the deadline to request a review is not missed.

Requesting an outcome review

Students will need to request a review of the decision to exclude them within a specified timeframe. The University will communicate a student’s exclusion via email and students should check their email regularly to ensure the date does not pass. For assistance through this process, they should contact the UCSA Student Advocate, or UC Student Care.

Students should outline the exceptional circumstances that impaired their ability to successfully complete their course of study, or significantly impaired their ability to perform in an assessment.

Evidence should be provided (such as medical certificates, death notices, other relevant documents) to support the student’s application.

The student should then explain why the impairment is no longer likely to impact on their ability to successfully complete their studies, and how they will ensure their success going forward.
If the impairment is significant, and can be verified, the exclusion may be removed and the student permitted to continue their study.

An exclusion means you are excluded from the named faculty or from the University for the future BUT the University would consider allowing the student readmission after:

  • At least one year of successful study elsewhere (in another college or at another tertiary institution) or at least one year of successful work experience in relevant employment.
  • Evidence of their likelihood of success in future university studies.
How to apply
  • Applications for readmission to a course, subject, award or college shall be made to the college's Dean.
  • Applications for readmission to the University shall be made to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic).

For support or advocacy through these processes, students should contact the UCSA Student Advocate, or UC Student Care.

Domestic students

Students should visit the StudyLink website to ensure all information is accurate.

Actions taken by the University during the Academic Progress Review may impact on a student’s regular StudyLink payments. This refers to students who have had restrictions placed on the number of points they can take, and students excluded from a college or the University.

In some cases, students with restrictions placed on their study will experience an interruption in their StudyLink payments as their circumstances have changed. These students should check their eligibility for limited full-time study on the Studylink website and follow the process to apply as soon as possible.

There are other factors regarding StudyLink eligibility that are relevant to students affected by the Academic Progress Review.

The StudyLink website advises that a student needs to pass more than half of the courses that they are enrolled in to continue to be eligible for a Student Allowance. The same test is also applied to assess Student Loan eligibility once a student has completed 1.6 EFTS (usually about two years of study).

International students

An exclusion can have serious consequences for international students.

International students studying in New Zealand must have a student visa/permit which specifies the institution they are studying at and the qualification they are studying. This means that if they change their plan of study they are legally obliged to apply for a new student visa/permit.

International students who have been excluded need to decide whether to study in another qualification at UC (this is not an option if they have been excluded from the University), to study at another tertiary institution, to apply for an alternative temporary permit, or to return to their home country.

The Academic Progress Review process can be a wake-up call for students struggling with their studies who have not previously asked for help. The University would recommend they take the opportunity to speak with friends, whanau and university staff to seek sound advice and be directed to the help that is available.

The University recommends they take the opportunity to speak with friends, whanau and university staff to seek sound advice and be directed to the help that is available.

Students who struggle with time management, study skills, exam skills, problems with academic writing or English language difficulties can talk to college student advisors and be directed to the help they need:

The University has several units offering assistance:

For personal or financial difficulties:

Interview Contacts

Student that have received an Impending Exclusion from their qualification or the University, and students that received a Warning - Deans Meeting letter, are required to meet with their relevant Dean prior to the start of the next semester.

Students are required to be proactive in scheduling these appointments and can do so via the following contact details. Please include any times from which you are precluded from meeting due to prior commitments to enable more efficient scheduling.

College of Arts

Liz Bond
Academic Manager, College of Arts 

UC Business School

Donna Heslop-Williams
Administrator to the Head of School
03 3693599

College of Education, Health and Human Development

Sarah Petersen
Academic Manager, College of Education Health and Human Development

College of Engineerng

Please contact the following shared email address:

School of Law

Heather Couch
Senior Academic Advisor, School of Law

College of Science

Please contact the following shared email address: 

For all enquiries regarding academic progress please contact