Indigenous Narrative explores ways of representing indigenous stories, history, and people through the cinema and video game industry, as traditional storytelling moves to digital and mainstream media.
A good understanding of indigenous narrative is important for anyone working in the digital screen industry in Aotearoa New Zealand and beyond.
- Study the only specialisation in Indigenous Narrative in Aotearoa.
- Examine the political, historical, social, cultural, and ideological influences that shape the way Māori and Indigenous people are often portrayed in film and media and understand your role in producing authentic stories.
- Te Whare Pūrākau Academy Scholarships are available annually for Māori, Pasifika, and other Indigenous students to gain mentorship and leverage from classes and wānanga with industry experts.
Indigenous Narrative minor
For the minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Commerce, Digital Screen, Health Sciences, Science, Social and Environmental Sustainability, Sport Coaching, or Youth and Community Leadership, complete the following courses:
- TITO101 Māori Writing in English
- TITO201 Indigilit: Indigenous Literature in Aotearoa and Beyond
- TITO202 Kiriata: Māori Film and Media
- 30 points of courses chosen from these options
Those on a Te Whare Pūrākau Academy Scholarship will take different approved courses instead of the 30-point options above.
Certificate in Indigenous Narrative
UC also offers a Certificate in Indigenous Narrative designed as professional development for anyone working in cinema, broadcasting, and video game industries to develop their Indigenous awareness.
Your skills will prepare you to create your own creative media, and to support productions coming into Aotearoa, as a large number of global companies seek our technical as well as cultural expertise.
This study will also prepare you for roles outside of Aotearoa, particularly in countries aiming for more inclusivity and accuracy in their creative projects.
Some career pathways could include:
- Media directing and producing
- Screenwriting for film and video games
- Copy writing
- Creative consultancy.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
Digital Screen Campus
Browse related subjects to Indigenous Narrative
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Aotearoa has been put on the map with our internationally renowned expertise in visual effects and film technologies, filming locations, and the calibre of our ...
Entertainment media such as films and video games are growing in complexity, with the methods we use to tell stories merging through visual effects, immersive ...