Forestry Science is all about learning how to manage forest resources, conservation, and restoration ecology, and in policy and planning areas.
UC is the only university in Australasia offering this programme with a focus on ethical and sustainable management of plantation and native forests.
- A wide combination of courses, covering the commercial forestry industry, and efforts in conservation and restoration of forests.
- Coursework in and out of the classroom with practical workshops, labs, and fieldtrips to plantations and native forests.
- Options for exchange programmes with the University of British Columbia in Canada, and Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in the USA.
Bachelor of Forestry Science
UC offers a Bachelor of Forestry Science, which focuses on the biology, management, and maintenance of forest resources.
Those who attain a good Grade Point Average during the second and third years will be invited to consider undertaking Honours in the final year of the degree, which includes completing a piece of original research on a Forestry topic of choice.
Forestry Science is a degree that is well supported by employers in Aotearoa because of the industry demand for foresters with sustainability, conservation, and commercial logistics experience.
Some career pathways could include:
- Forest management
- Forest consulting
- Forest policy and planning
- Sustainable land management.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Forestry Science.
Forestry building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Pūhanga | Faculty of Engineering
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Forestry Science
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Chemistry deals with the composition, structure, and behaviour of atoms and molecules that make up all forms of matter.Understanding the world at an atomic ...