Wananga landing Wananga landing

University Entrance with NCEA

13 November 2023

Admission with University Entrance achieved through NCEA.

NCEA Requirements for University Entrance

The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) administers NCEA and sets the NCEA requirements for University Entrance nationwide. 


NCEA requirements for University Entrance

  • NCEA Level 3
  • 14 credits at Level 3 or higher in each of three approved subjects
  • Literacy - 10 credits at Level 2 or above, made up of:
    • 5 credits in reading
    • 5 credits in writing
  • Numeracy - 10 credits at Level 1 or above, made up of:
    • achievement standards – specified achievement standards available through a range of subjects, or
    • unit standards - package of three numeracy unit standards (26623, 26626, 26627- all three required), or
    • numeracy unit standard 32406 OR te pāngarau unit standard 32412.

When you gain University Entrance with NCEA, it will appear on your NZQA Record of Achievement and your application to enrol at UC will be processed. 

More information about University Entrance is available on the NZQA website


Exceptional Year 12 NCEA results

If you are a Year 12 student with an exceptional academic record applying for entry to UC before completing Year 13, or you have been on an official exchange programme (such as ASF or Rotary) studying overseas for 20 weeks or more, you will need to apply for Discretionary Entrance

For Discretionary Entrance with Year 12 NCEA results, you would be expected to achieve at least:

More info about Discretionary Entrance.


Falling short of University Entrance through NCEA

If you haven’t achieved University Entrance through NCEA, you may choose to complete a Transition Programme such as the Certificate in University Preparation to gain admission to UC.


Provisional admission

If you are only 8 credits (or less) short of NCEA University Entrance, you may choose to catch up on the missing credits at your own secondary school, Hagley CollegeTe Kura Correspondence School or Logan Park High School. Details on catching up credits at Hagley College and Te Kura are available below.

If you can show you have submitted all necessary work before the start of Semester One and the school confirms you will achieve the missing credits, you will normally be given Provisional Admission and be able to start your studies at UC.  

Please note: this is not for students applying for a Teaching qualification (BTchLn). Read the relevant flyer below for details of the process. 

Email the Admissions team if you have questions about Provisional Admission.

Hagley College Catchup

Download (application/pdf, 1 MB)

Te Kura Catchup

Download (application/pdf, 1 MB)
Privacy Preferences

By clicking "Accept All Cookies", you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.