My research aims to reduce seismic risk in a sustainable and cost-effective way. My teaching aims to empower and motivate others to do the same.
Tim’s research focusses on improving the fundamentals of seismic design, assessment and retrofit for structural and non-structural elements and systems. He has been leading national research projects related to Next Generation Infrastructure, Resilient Buildings and Low-damage Design. Tim uses experimental testing and loss-assessment techniques to demonstrate the performance of different engineering design and retrofit strategies and enjoys developing new technologies and systems that improve seismic performance. His research includes examination of medium-rise and tall commercial buildings, bridges and more recently, housing. He has a particular interest in the use of base-isolation and energy dissipation to enhance the seismic performance of buildings and building contents. Tim has considerable consulting experience and enjoys collaborating with industry.
- Bhatta J., Dhakal RP. and Sullivan TJ. (2023) Cyclic Behaviour of Two-Story Low-Damage Rocking Precast Concrete Cladding Panel System. Journal of Earthquake Engineering 27(6): 1414-1439. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2022.2074918.
- Bhatta J., Dhakal RP. and Sullivan TJ. (2023) Seismic Performance of ‘Rocking’ Dual-slot Track Internal Partition Walls with Concealed Joints under Lateral Cyclic Drift Demands. Journal of Earthquake Engineering 27(8): 2198-2223. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2022.2112322.
- Bhatta J., Dhakal RP. and Sullivan TJ. (2023) Seismic Performance of a Rocking Precast Concrete Cladding Panel System under Lateral Cyclic Displacement Demands. Journal of Earthquake Engineering 27(4): 929-958. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2022.2033359.
- De Francesco G. and Sullivan TJ. (2023) Improved estimation of P-delta effects on the response of bilinear SDOF systems. Earthquake Spectra 39(2): 889-913. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/87552930221146569.
- Hulsey AM., Horspool N., Gerstenberger MC., Sullivan TJ. and Elwood KJ. (2023) Considering uncertainty in the collapse fragility of New Zealand buildings for risk-targeted seismic design. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/eqe.3916.