Senior LecturerHeyang (Thomas) Li
Thomas is a Lecturer in Statistics and Data Science at University of Canterbury (UC), School of Mathematics and Statistics. His current research areas involve image processing and classification, 3D projective geometry, phylogenetic trees, classification trees, and deep learning applications. He currently leads the UC Spatial And Image Learning (SAIL) group, working on research in collaboration with NZ Transport Agency, Christchurch City Council, Christchurch Airport and Stats NZ. UC SAIL group is kindly support by the School, UC R&I and KiwiNet.
Thomas completed his PhD research at The Australian National University, in the Department of Applied Mathematics, he worked on image processing algorithms for Computed Tomography. The outcome of his PhD research improved the signal to noise properties. He has published papers in highly ranked international peer reviewed journals, presentations at international conferences, obtained over $400k of research grants, and two US patent publications for which he was one of the inventors.
Thomas has a wide research network in Australia and New Zealand, and are open to related research collaborations, and interests from prospective PhD students.
- Alloo SJ., Paganin DM., Morgan KS., Kitchen MJ., Stevenson AW., Mayo SC., Li HT., Kennedy BM., Maksimenko A. and Bowden JC. (2022) Dark-field tomography of an attenuating object using intrinsic x-ray speckle tracking. Journal of Medical Imaging 9(3) http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/1.JMI.9.3.031502.
- Li HT., Todd Z., Bielski N. and Carroll F. (2022) 3D lidar point-cloud projection operator and transfer machine learning for effective road surface features detection and segmentation. Visual Computer 38(5): 1759-1774. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00371-021-02103-8.
- Maliszewski KA., Vetrova V., Li H., Kolenderski P. and Kolenderska SM. (2022) Dispersion-contrast imaging using machine learning. In Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging - Proceedings of SPIE 11948 http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.2612671.
- Alloo SJ., Paganin DM., Morgan KS., Kitchen MJ., Stevenson AW., Mayo SC., Li HT., Kennedy BM., Maksimenko A. and Bowden J. (2021) Speckle-Based X-Ray Dark-Field Tomography of an Attenuating Object. In Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering 11840 http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.2597722.
- Pavlov KM., Paganin DM., Morgan KS., Li H., Berujon S., Quénot L. and Brun E. (2021) Directional dark-field implicit x-ray speckle tracking using an anisotropic-diffusion Fokker-Planck equation. Physical Review A 104(5) http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.104.053505.