Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests include woody biomass energy and bioliquid fuels, wood based composites, wood processing with strengths on drying of wood and wood based materials, wood quality and wood properties related to drying. In addition, he is interested in drying of particular materials, evaporation, and heat and mass transfer processes. Specific research interests are:
-Thermal gasification of woody biomass for energy and liquid fuels.
-Pyrolysis of waste plastics and woody biomass for liquid fuels.
-Product development and processing technologies for wood – plastic composites.
-Kiln drying of softwood timber: drying modelling, model validation and practical application.
-Modelling of drying stress and board deformation for kiln drying of softwood timber.
-Drying related wood properties, thermal dynamics and wood-water relationships.
-Quality drying of timber: studies on wood discolouration, checking, residual drying stress, warp and instability.
-Fibre processing (particularly on drying) and mat hot pressing for MDF production.
-Modelling of veneer drying for production of plywood and laminated veneer lumber (LVL).
-LVL hot pressing with microwave preheating.
-New technologies and environmental issues in drying of wood and wood based materials.
-Alternative drying medium for high quality drying.
-Kiln emission quantification and reduction in wood and wood product processing.
- Ma X., Pang S., Zhang R. and Xu Q. (2019) Process simulation and economic evaluation of bio-oil two-stage hydrogenation production. Applied Sciences (Switzerland) 9(4) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/app9040693.
- Pang S. (2019) Advances in thermochemical conversion of woody biomass to energy, fuels and chemicals. Biotechnology Advances 37(4): 589-597. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biotechadv.2018.11.004.
- Tan T., Pang S. and Zhang Z. (2019) Editorial for special issue of biorefinery. Biotechnology Advances 37(4): 507-507. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biotechadv.2019.04.013.
- Xin X., Pang S., de Miguel Mercader F. and Torr KM. (2019) The effect of biomass pretreatment on catalytic pyrolysis products of pine wood by Py-GC/MS and principal component analysis. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis 138: 145-153. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2018.12.018.
- Xin X., Torr KM., De Miguel Mercader F. and Pang S. (2019) Insights into Preventing Fluidized Bed Material Agglomeration in Fast Pyrolysis of Acid-Leached Pine Wood. Energy and Fuels 33(5): 4254-4263. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.8b04178.