Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests include woody biomass energy and bioliquid fuels, wood based composites, wood processing with strengths on drying of wood and wood based materials, wood quality and wood properties related to drying. In addition, he is interested in drying of particular materials, evaporation, and heat and mass transfer processes. Specific research interests are:
-Thermal gasification of woody biomass for energy and liquid fuels.
-Pyrolysis of waste plastics and woody biomass for liquid fuels.
-Product development and processing technologies for wood – plastic composites.
-Kiln drying of softwood timber: drying modelling, model validation and practical application.
-Modelling of drying stress and board deformation for kiln drying of softwood timber.
-Drying related wood properties, thermal dynamics and wood-water relationships.
-Quality drying of timber: studies on wood discolouration, checking, residual drying stress, warp and instability.
-Fibre processing (particularly on drying) and mat hot pressing for MDF production.
-Modelling of veneer drying for production of plywood and laminated veneer lumber (LVL).
-LVL hot pressing with microwave preheating.
-New technologies and environmental issues in drying of wood and wood based materials.
-Alternative drying medium for high quality drying.
-Kiln emission quantification and reduction in wood and wood product processing.
- Gharib J., Pang S. and Holland D. (2020) Synthesis and characterisation of polyurethane made from pyrolysis bio-oil of pine wood. European Polymer Journal 133 109725: 109725-109725. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eurpolymj.2020.109725.
- Hongrapipat J., Siriwongrungson V., Messner M., Henrich C., Gunnarsson S., Koch M., Dichand M., Rauch R., Pang S. and Hofbauer H. (2020) Co-gasification of Cassava Rhizome and Woody Biomass in the 1 MW
elPrototype Dual Fluidised Bed Gasifier by Gussing Renewable Energy. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science 495(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/495/1/012019.
- Mei Y., Zhang S., Wang H., Jing S., Hou T. and Pang S. (2020) Low-Temperature Deoxidization of Lignin and Its Impact on Liquid Products from Pyrolysis. Energy & Fuels 34(3): 3422-3428. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.0c00202.
- Sheng W., Li X., Pei Y., Wang R., Zhang X. and Pang S. (2020) Mechanism of ice nucleation inhibition of PVA and PVP in aqueous glycerin solution. Thermochimica Acta 689 178617: 178617-178617. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tca.2020.178617.
- Wang J., Jiang J., Meng X., Li M., Wang X., Pang S., Wang K., Sun Y., Zhong Z. and Ruan R. (2020) Promoting Aromatic Hydrocarbon Formation via Catalytic Pyrolysis of Polycarbonate Wastes over Fe- and Ce-Loaded Aluminum Oxide Catalysts.. Environ Sci Technol http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.0c00899.