Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests include woody biomass energy and bioliquid fuels, wood based composites, wood processing with strengths on drying of wood and wood based materials, wood quality and wood properties related to drying. In addition, he is interested in drying of particular materials, evaporation, and heat and mass transfer processes. Specific research interests are:
-Thermal gasification of woody biomass for energy and liquid fuels.
-Pyrolysis of waste plastics and woody biomass for liquid fuels.
-Product development and processing technologies for wood – plastic composites.
-Kiln drying of softwood timber: drying modelling, model validation and practical application.
-Modelling of drying stress and board deformation for kiln drying of softwood timber.
-Drying related wood properties, thermal dynamics and wood-water relationships.
-Quality drying of timber: studies on wood discolouration, checking, residual drying stress, warp and instability.
-Fibre processing (particularly on drying) and mat hot pressing for MDF production.
-Modelling of veneer drying for production of plywood and laminated veneer lumber (LVL).
-LVL hot pressing with microwave preheating.
-New technologies and environmental issues in drying of wood and wood based materials.
-Alternative drying medium for high quality drying.
-Kiln emission quantification and reduction in wood and wood product processing.
- Bai J., Gao H., Xu J., Li L., Zheng P., Li P., Song J., Chang C. and Pang S. (2022) Comprehensive study on the pyrolysis product characteristics of tobacco stems based on a novel nitrogen-enriched pyrolysis method. Energy 242 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2021.122535.
- Chowarot C., Siriwongrungsona V., Hongrapipat J., Pang S. and Messner M. (2022) Characterization of deposited Ti-doped lithium aluminium hydride thin film using dip coating method. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 2175(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/2175/1/012015.
- Fang S., Wang Y., Li P., Chang C., Wang X., Song J. and Pang S. (2022) A theoretical and experimental study on steam reforming of bio-oil over Ni/Co modified carbon-based catalysts. Fuel 324 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2022.124512.
- Li L., Bai J., Liu Q., Huang G., Song J., Chang C., Li P. and Pang S. (2022) Performance research and optimization of the production of high-value nitrogen-containing compounds from tobacco stems via two-step hydrothermal liquefaction. Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13399-022-03006-x.
- Li P., Shi X., Jiang L., Wang X., Song J., Fang S., Bai J., Chang C. and Pang S. (2022) Synergistic enhancement of bio-oil quality through hydrochloric or acetic acid-washing pretreatment and catalytic fast pyrolysis of biomass. Industrial Crops and Products 187 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2022.115474.