Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests include woody biomass energy and bioliquid fuels, wood based composites, wood processing with strengths on drying of wood and wood based materials, wood quality and wood properties related to drying. In addition, he is interested in drying of particular materials, evaporation, and heat and mass transfer processes. Specific research interests are:
-Thermal gasification of woody biomass for energy and liquid fuels.
-Pyrolysis of waste plastics and woody biomass for liquid fuels.
-Product development and processing technologies for wood – plastic composites.
-Kiln drying of softwood timber: drying modelling, model validation and practical application.
-Modelling of drying stress and board deformation for kiln drying of softwood timber.
-Drying related wood properties, thermal dynamics and wood-water relationships.
-Quality drying of timber: studies on wood discolouration, checking, residual drying stress, warp and instability.
-Fibre processing (particularly on drying) and mat hot pressing for MDF production.
-Modelling of veneer drying for production of plywood and laminated veneer lumber (LVL).
-LVL hot pressing with microwave preheating.
-New technologies and environmental issues in drying of wood and wood based materials.
-Alternative drying medium for high quality drying.
-Kiln emission quantification and reduction in wood and wood product processing.
- Dashtestani F., Nusheh M., Siriwongrungson V., Hongrapipat J., Materic V. and Pang S. (2021) Effect of H
2S and NH 3in biomass gasification producer gas on CO 2capture performance of an innovative CaO and Fe 2O 3based sorbent. Fuel 295 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2021.120586.
- Ma X., Pang S. and Xu Q. (2021) Kinetic study of carbonaceous deposit formation and catalyst deactivation in hydrotreating of fast pyrolysis bio-oil. Chemical Engineering Science 231 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2020.116316.
- Mohd Safaai NS. and Pang S. (2021) Pyrolysis kinetics of chemically treated and torrefied radiata pine identified through thermogravimetric analysis. Renewable Energy http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2021.04.117.
- Zhao S., Wang Z., Chang C., Li P., Xu G. and Pang S. (2021) Enhanced production of levulinic acid/ester from furfural residue via pretreatment and two-stage alcoholysis. Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13399-021-01307-1.
- Dashtestani F., Nusheh M., Siriwongrungson V., Hongrapipat J., Materic V. and Pang S. (2020) CO
2Capture from Biomass Gasification Producer Gas Using a Novel Calcium and Iron-Based Sorbent through Carbonation-Calcination Looping. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 59(41) http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.0c03025.