Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests include woody biomass energy and bioliquid fuels, wood based composites, wood processing with strengths on drying of wood and wood based materials, wood quality and wood properties related to drying. In addition, he is interested in drying of particular materials, evaporation, and heat and mass transfer processes. Specific research interests are:
-Thermal gasification of woody biomass for energy and liquid fuels.
-Pyrolysis of waste plastics and woody biomass for liquid fuels.
-Product development and processing technologies for wood – plastic composites.
-Kiln drying of softwood timber: drying modelling, model validation and practical application.
-Modelling of drying stress and board deformation for kiln drying of softwood timber.
-Drying related wood properties, thermal dynamics and wood-water relationships.
-Quality drying of timber: studies on wood discolouration, checking, residual drying stress, warp and instability.
-Fibre processing (particularly on drying) and mat hot pressing for MDF production.
-Modelling of veneer drying for production of plywood and laminated veneer lumber (LVL).
-LVL hot pressing with microwave preheating.
-New technologies and environmental issues in drying of wood and wood based materials.
-Alternative drying medium for high quality drying.
-Kiln emission quantification and reduction in wood and wood product processing.
- Wang J., Jiang J., Wang X., Wang R., Wang K., Pang S., Zhong Z., Sun Y., Ruan R. and Ragauskas AJ. (2020) Converting polycarbonate and polystyrene plastic wastes intoaromatic hydrocarbons via catalytic fast co-pyrolysis. Journal of Hazardous Materials 386 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2019.121970.
- Xin X., Torr KM., Pang S., van de Pas D., Cooke-Willis M. and de Miguel Mercader F. (2020) Catalytic Fast Pyrolysis of Demineralized Biomass in a Fluidized Bed Reactor: Effects of Acid-Leaching and Torrefaction Pretreatments. Energy & Fuels 34(1): 568-578. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b03698.
- Ma X., Pang S., Zhang R. and Xu Q. (2019) Process simulation and economic evaluation of bio-oil two-stage hydrogenation production. Applied Sciences (Switzerland) 9(4) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/app9040693.
- Pang S. (2019) Advances in thermochemical conversion of woody biomass to energy, fuels and chemicals. Biotechnology Advances 37(4): 589-597. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biotechadv.2018.11.004.
- Pang S. (2019) Promises and challenges for woody biomass to biofuels and biochemiclas. New Zealand Journal of Forestry 64(3): 17-24.