Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests are applications of discrete mathematics (combinatorics, graph theory) and probability theory to contemporary problems in biology.
- Francis A., Semple C. and Steel M. (2018) New characterisations of tree-based networks and proximity measures. Advances in Applied Mathematics 93: 93-107. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aam.2017.08.003.
- Grünewald S., Huber KT., Moulton V. and Steel M. (2018) Combinatorial properties of triplet covers for binary trees. Advances in Applied Mathematics 99: 59-82. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aam.2018.04.002.
- Hoppe A., Türpitz S. and Steel M. (2018) Species notions that combine phylogenetic trees and phenotypic partitions. Journal of Mathematical Biology http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00285-018-1269-z.
- Hordijk W., Steel M. and Dittrich P. (2018) Autocatalytic sets and chemical organizations: Modeling self-sustaining reaction networks at the origin of life. New Journal of Physics 20(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1367-2630/aa9fcd.
- Huber KT., Moulton V. and Steel M. (2018) Phylogenetic Flexibility via Hall-Type Inequalities and Submodularity. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology : 1-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11538-018-0419-1.