Integrating disaster risk and resilience, Earth and human system interdependencies, sustainable infrastructure, and dreams of space colonisation.
My background is in Earth and environmental science, climate change, paleoclimate and landscape evolution. Since the 2010-2011 Canterbury Earthquake Sequence I have focussed on the impacts of disasters on infrastructure systems and communities. With a strong interest in resilience and sustainabilty, I am intersted in the future of our civilsation on Earth and beyond.
- Scheele F., Wilson T., Lane EM., Crowley K., Hughes MW., Davies T., Horspool N., Williams JH., Le L. and Uma SR. (2020) Modelling residential habitability and human displacement for tsunami scenarios in Christchurch, New Zealand. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 43 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2019.101403.
- Bellagamba X., Bradley BA., Wotherspoon LM. and Hughes MW. (2019) Development and validation of fragility functions for buried pipelines based on Canterbury earthquake sequence data. Earthquake Spectra 35(3) 120917EQS253M: 1061-1086. http://dx.doi.org/10.1193/120917eqs253m.
- Mckibbin D., Blake D., Wilson T., Wotherspoon L. and Hughes M. (2019) A geospatial assessment of critical infrastructure impacts and adaptations in small rural towns following the 14 November 2016 (Kaikōura) earthquake, New Zealand. Japanese Geotechnical Society Special Publication 6(2): 19-29. http://dx.doi.org/10.3208/jgssp.v06.GIZ04.
- Williams JH., Wilson TM., Horspool N., Lane EM., Hughes MW., Davies T., Le L. and Scheele F. (2019) Tsunami impact assessment: development of vulnerability matrix for critical infrastructure and application to Christchurch, New Zealand. Natural Hazards 96(3): 1167-1211. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11069-019-03603-6.
- Bagriacik A., Davidson R., Hughes MW., Bradley B. and Cubrinovski M. (2018) Comparison of statistical and machine learning approaches to modeling earthquake damage to water pipelines. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering 112: 76-88. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2018.05.010.