Senior LecturerMatthew Cowan
Join me in understanding the world's problems and building the solutions to solve them
Kia Ora! Welcome, it's great to have you here.
All of my research focuses on enhancing sustainability by reducing the energy used and emissions produced by the behind-the-scenes processes we use every day.
I have a keen interest in leading advances that will significantly impact society through the creation of commercializable knowledge and technology, and the scientific community in particular through improving fundamental understanding and best practices. This means I actively communicate and engage with the perceived users of any technology I develop so that I can create something they think is useful (rather than what I think would be useful).
I am always looking for new research opportunities and people to work with, so if you think that I can help or would like to join my team then please reach out. I'll do my best to understand your problem and if I can't propose a solution, then I'll try my best to direct you to someone who can.
My background includes both chemistry and chemical engineering and has involved work on materials including polymers, ionic liquids, liquid crystals, metal-ion complexes, and ceramic membranes for applications in gas separations through membranes and adsorbents.
- Edens SJ., Drake KT., Harvey-Reid NC., Morison KR., Kruger PE. and Cowan MG. (2023) Experimental Measurement of Pure and Mixed-Gas Kinetics of Ethylene and Ethane Adsorption onto Mordenite, Zeolite 13X, and ZJU-74a: Insights into the Value of Single- vs Mixed-Gas Kinetics, Validity of IAST and Sips Isotherm Models, and Temperature/Pressure Relationships for Process Modeling. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.3c01085.
- Edens SJ., McGrath MJ., Guo S., Du Z., Zhou H., Zhong L., Shi Z., Wan J., Bennett TD. and Qiao A. (2023) An Upper Bound Visualization of Design Trade-Offs in Adsorbent Materials for Gas Separations: CO
2, N 2, CH 4, H 2, O 2, Xe, Kr, and Ar Adsorbents. Advanced Science 10(8) http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/advs.202206437.
- Egerton S., Sim C., Park HE., Staiger MP., Patil KM. and Cowan MG. (2022) Controlling coefficients of thermal expansion in thermoplastic materials: effects of zinc cyanide and ionic liquid. Materials Advances http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/d2ma00338d.
- Limlamthong M., Jia X., Jang E., Jeong Y., Baik H., Cowan M., Choi J. and Yip ACK. (2022) An anti-humidity palladium-containing MFI composite as a robust ethylene scavenger. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials 341 112090 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2022.112090.
- Elashkar AH., Hedley GS., Qazvini OT., Telfer SG. and Cowan MG. (2021) An upper bound visualization of design trade-offs in adsorbent materials for gas separations: alkene/alkane adsorbents. Chemical Communications 57(57): 6950-6959. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/d1cc02350k.