Qualifications & Memberships
My research interests include mainly, but not limited to, Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering and related problems (e.g. soil liquefaction and its remediation); constitutive modelling for geomaterials; development of advanced laboratory testing devices (triaxial tests with static local deformation and dynamic measurements; torsional shear tests from very small to large strain levels); geo-hazard reconnaissance and mitigation (e.g. 2015 Gorkha Nepal Earthquake; sinkholes in Pokhara Valley, Nepal); beneficial reuse/recycling of waste materials for sustainable geo-constructions; ground improvement techniques for granular soils.
- Cappellaro C., Cubrinovski M., Bray JD., Chiaro G., Riemer MF. and Stringer ME. (2021) Liquefaction resistance of christchurch sandy soils from direct simple shear tests. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering 141 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2020.106489.
- Chiaro G., Umar M., Kiyota T. and Koseki J. (2021) Deformation and cyclic strength characteristics of loose and medium-dense clean sand under sloping ground conditions: insights from cyclic undrained torsional shear tests with static shear. Geotechnical Engineering Journal SEAGS 52(2): 8.
- Paolella L., Spacagna RL., Chiaro G. and Modoni G. (2021) A simplified vulnerability model for the extensive liquefaction risk assessment of buildings. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering 19(10): 3933-3961. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10518-020-00911-2.
- Tasalloti A., Chiaro G., Banasiak L. and Palermo A. (2021) Experimental investigation of the mechanical behaviour of gravel-granulated tyre rubber mixtures. Construction and Building Materials 273 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.121749.
- Tasalloti A., Chiaro G., Murali A. and Banasiak L. (2021) Physical and mechanical properties of granulated rubber mixed with granular soils—a literature review. Sustainability (Switzerland) 13(8) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/su13084309.