The focus of my research is to provide new insight into the fundamentals of chemical processes by using the latest experimental techniques. Chemical engineering relies on simple models and heuristic equations to enable the design of processes for a diverse array of industries including, for example, petrochemicals, fertilisers, pharmaceuticals and dairy. Whilst this approach is successful for established technology, it is rarely optimal for new processes. The conventional design approach has evolved in part because instruments are normally restricted to observing what goes into and what comes out of a process; very little can be observed about what is actually happening within the process. Recently, new technologies have become available that permit us to "see inside" chemical processes. The development and use of these technologies forms the basis of my research.
These new technologies are used to improve our fundamental understanding of processes and to optimise computational modelling of processes throughout the chemical industries. I am especially interested in using these technologies to study processes that require the handling of particles, however I also work on non-Newtonian, gas-liquid and liquid-liquid flows, diffusion, and mass transfer processes and modelling of chemical reactors.
- Clarke DA., Dolamore F., Fee CJ., Galvosas P. and Holland DJ. (2021) Investigation of flow through triply periodic minimal surface-structured porous media using MRI and CFD. Chemical Engineering Science 231 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2020.116264.
- Lee Y., Matviychuk Y., Park H., Wang L. and Holland DJ. (2021) Quantitative frother analysis on coal mine process water with a benchtop NMR spectrometer. Journal of Magnetic Resonance 331 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmr.2021.107054.
- Maru W., Holland D., Lakshmanan S., Sederman A. and Thomas A. (2021) Multiphase flow and mixing quantification using computational fluid dynamics and magnetic resonance imaging. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation 77 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.flowmeasinst.2020.101816.
- Matviychuk Y., Haycock S., Rutan T. and Holland DJ. (2021) Quantitative analysis of wine and other fermented beverages with benchtop NMR. Analytica Chimica Acta 1182 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2021.338944.
- Mehdizad M., Fullard L., Galvosas P. and Holland D. (2021) Quantitative measurement of solid fraction in a silo using SPRITE. Journal of Magnetic Resonance 325 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmr.2021.106935.