Qualifications & Memberships
Dr. Christoph Bartneck is an associate professor and director of postgraduate studies at the HIT Lab NZ of the University of Canterbury. He has a background in Industrial Design and Human-Computer Interaction, and his projects and studies have been published in leading journals, newspapers, and conferences. His interests lie in the fields of Human-Computer Interaction, Science and Technology Studies, and Visual Design. More specifically, he focuses on the effect of anthropomorphism on human-robot interaction. As a secondary research interest he works on bibliometric analyses, agent based social simulations, and the critical review on scientific processes and policies. In the field of Design Christoph investigates the history of product design, tessellations and photography.
He has worked for several international organizations including the Technology Centre of Hannover (Germany), LEGO (Denmark), Eagle River Interactive (USA), Philips Research (Netherlands), ATR (Japan), and The Eindhoven University of Technology (Netherlands). The press regularly reports on his work, including the New Scientist, Scientific American, Popular Science, Wired, New York Times, The Times, BBC, Huffington Post, Washington Post, The Guardian, and The Economist.
- Allan DD., Vonasch AJ. and Bartneck C. (2022) “I Have to Praise You Like I Should?” The Effects of Implicit Self-Theories and Robot-Delivered Praise on Evaluations of a Social Robot. International Journal of Social Robotics http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12369-021-00848-9.
- Allan DD., Vonasch AJ. and Bartneck C. (2022) The Doors of Social Robot Perception: The Influence of Implicit Self-theories. International Journal of Social Robotics 14(1): 127-140. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12369-021-00767-9.
- Allan DD., Vonasch AJ. and Bartneck C. (2022) Better than Us: The Role of Implicit Self-Theories in Determining Perceived Threat Responses in HRI. In Proceedings of the 2022 ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction: 215-224. http://dx.doi.org/10.5555/3523760.3523792.
- Bartneck C. (2022) The Sad Robot. The Human Robot Interaction Podcast 20 Christchurch: http://dx.doi.org/10.17605/OSF.IO/7KFRZ. [Podcast].
- Bartneck C. (2022) The Unofficial LEGO Color Guide Fifth Edition. Minifigure.Org. 228.