Ben Adams does research in spatial data science and interactive systems for geographic analysis.
In my research I am exploring new ways of using computing technology to advance human understanding of our environment and world. I am interested in understanding, modelling, and improving how the people who want to learn about the world (e.g., scientists, students, and policy makers) interact with and make decisions based on geographic knowledge represented in a computer. The research I undertake is both explanatory and constructive. In the first case I work to develop theories that explain how the information that we produce and share in digital form reflects human conceptualizations of the world. In the second case I build software systems that help people use geographic information better to solve problems. My research methodology is informed by methods from data science, machine learning, spatial information science, interactive systems, and cognitive science.
- Adams B. (2020) Chronotopic Information Interaction: Integrating Temporal and Spatial Structure for Historical Indexing and Interactive Search. Digital Scholarship in the Humanities http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/llc/fqaa049.
- Adams B., Dodge S. and Purves R. (2020) JOSIS' 10th anniversary special feature. Journal of Spatial Information Science 20: 1-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.5311/JOSIS.2020.20.670.
- Adams B., Dodge S. and Purves R. (2020) JOSIS’ 10th anniversary special feature: part two. Journal of Spatial Information Science 21: 1-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.5311/JOSIS.2020.21.729.
- Bahrehdar AR., Adams B. and Purves RS. (2020) Streets of London: Using Flickr and OpenStreetMap to build an interactive image of the city. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems 84 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2020.101524.
- Claramunt C., Adams B. and Gahegan M. (2020) Geographical Information Science observatories, theoretical and methodological transitions. Journal of Interdisciplinary Methodologies and Issues in Science 2020: 11. http://dx.doi.org/10.18713/JIMIS-120620-6-2.