My main area of research is on the resistance of steel and concrete structures to the effects of fires. I am particularly interested in developing simplified methods for the analysis and design of floor systems. I am also interested in the behaviour of steel connections at elevated temperatures.
- Buchanan AH. and Abu AK. (2017) Structural design for fire safety. (Second Edition ed.). John Wiley & Sons Ltd, The Atrium, Southern Gate, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 8SQ, United Kingdom: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. i-416.
- Buchanan AH. and Abu AK. (2016) Structural Design for Fire Safety: Second Edition. 1-415. 10.1002/9781118700402.
- Burgess I., Green A. and Abu A. (2010) Concise Eurocodes: Loadings on Structures: BS EN 1991: Eurocode 1. London: British Standards Institution. 109pp.
- Fleischmann C., Buchanan A. and Abu A. (2016) Analytical Methods for Determining Fire Resistance of Concrete Members. In Hurley MJ; Gottuk DT; Hall JR; Harada K; Kuligowski ED; Puchovsky M; Torero JL; Watts JM; Wieczorek CJ (Ed.), SFPE Handbook of Fire Protection Engineering (5th ed.): 1949-1978. New York: Springer Science. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-2565-0_54.
- Akaa OU., Abu A. and Spearpoint M. (2020) A case study of design decision-making for an exemplar steel portal-framed building under fire exposure using a hybrid analysis technique. Journal of Building Engineering 28 101093: 101093-101093. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2019.101093.