Associate Professor Alex Yip received his BE(Hon) in Chemical Engineering from the UNSW (Australia) in 2003. He obtained his Ph.D. from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (2009), studying heterogeneous catalysis. Associate Professor Yip was a postdoctoral fellow at UC Berkeley, working on the methanol-to-triptane process via zeolite catalysis. He is now the Principal Investigator of the Energy and Environmental Catalysis Group at the University of Canterbury. His research focuses on micro/mesoporous materials, particularly zeolites, and the conversion of biomass/syngas to useful chemicals and fuels. Combining the state-of-the-art computational modeling and simulation with experimental works, his research targets synthesizing predefined zeolite structures by manipulating nucleation and crystallization. Yip’s research group is also interested in identifying mechanisms and reaction pathways for important catalytic reactions that are relevant to green energy. Associate Professor Yip studies the relationship between the catalyst structure, including morphology, pore shape, spatial constraints, etc., and the selectivity of products produced from a reaction.
He has published over 85 papers in prestigious journals (Q1) such as JACS, Angew. Chem., J. Materials Chem. A, Chem. Mater., Chem. Eng. J., Green Chemistry and Nano Research, etc. He is currently an editorial board member of Adv. Powder Technol. and an associate editor of Frontiers in Catalysis: Heterogeneous Catalysis.
- Iminabo M., Yip ACK., Iminabo J. and Pang S. (2022) High-temperature catalytic pyrolysis of radiata pine for production of high-value products. Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13399-022-03414-z.
- Khamkeaw A., Jongsomjit B., Yip ACK. and Phisalaphong M. (2022) Application of activated carbon derived from bacterial cellulose for mesoporous HZSM-5 catalyst synthesis and performances of catalyst in bioethanol dehydration. Biomass and Bioenergy 160: 106440-106451. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2022.106440.
- Li X., Curnow O., Choi J. and Yip ACK. (2022) Recent advances in the imidazolium-based ionic liquid-templated synthesis of microporous zeolites. Materials Today Chemistry 26 101133 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mtchem.2022.101133.
- Li X., Pan T., Choi J., Park H., Wu Z. and Yip ACY. (2022) Comparison of Catalytic Consequences of Ionic Liquid-Templated ZSM-22 and ZSM-5 Zeolites in Propene Dimerization. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials 337 111941 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2022.111941.
- Limlamthong M., Jia X., Jang E., Jeong Y., Baik H., Cowan M., Choi J. and Yip ACK. (2022) An anti-humidity palladium-containing MFI composite as a robust ethylene scavenger. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials 341 112090 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2022.112090.