My research focuses on electrochemical energy technology and electrocatalysis
The majority of my research interests are based around energy and hydrogen technologies. This includes activities on redox batteries, fuel cells, water electrolysis and conversion of biofuels in electrochemical reactors. I have an interest in surface chemistry, particularly using x-ray based methods to understand how and why reactions proceed on various surfaces. I have experience utilising synchrotron radiation to determine structure of materials and the binding of species to surfaces at the atomic scale under industrially relevant reaction conditions.
I have recently completed a Marsden funded project on electrocatalytic CO2 reduction, investigating the production of methanol from CO2 on Cu cathodes. My current externally funded projects (total $2M) include leading a project on photoelectrochemical redox batteries (direct solar energy storage and conversion) and I am a PI on a project investigating ultra-high temperature electrodeposition of Ti from molten oxides.
- Ahangari HT., Portail T. and Marshall AT. (2019) Comparing the electrocatalytic reduction of CO
2to CO on gold cathodes in batch and continuous flow electrochemical cells. Electrochemistry Communications 101: 78-81. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.elecom.2019.03.005.
- Kariman A. and Marshall AT. (2019) Improving the Stability of DSA Electrodes by the Addition of TiO2 Nanoparticles. JOURNAL OF THE ELECTROCHEMICAL SOCIETY 166(8): E248-E251. http://dx.doi.org/10.1149/2.0761908jes.
- Baldhoff T., Nock VM. and Marshall A. (2018) Review: Through-Mask Electrochemical Micromachining: A Review. Journal of The Electrochemical Society 165(16): E841-E855. http://dx.doi.org/10.1149/2.1341814jes.
- Marshall AT. (2018) Using microkinetic models to understand electrocatalytic reactions. Current Opinion in Electrochemistry 7: 75-80. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.coelec.2017.10.024.
- Marshall AT. and Herritsch A. (2018) Understanding how the oxygen evolution reaction kinetics influences electrochemical wastewater oxidation. Electrochimica Acta 282: 448-458. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2018.06.065.