My research focuses on electrochemical energy technology and electrocatalysis
Qualifications & Memberships
The majority of my research interests are based around energy and hydrogen technologies. This includes activities on redox batteries, fuel cells, water electrolysis and conversion of biofuels in electrochemical reactors. I have an interest in surface chemistry, particularly using x-ray based methods to understand how and why reactions proceed on various surfaces. I have experience utilising synchrotron radiation to determine structure of materials and the binding of species to surfaces at the atomic scale under industrially relevant reaction conditions.
I have recently completed a Marsden funded project on electrocatalytic CO2 reduction, investigating the production of methanol from CO2 on Cu cathodes. I was also a PI on a project investigating ultra-high temperature electrodeposition of Ti from molten oxides. My current externally funded projects (total $3M) include leading a project on photoelectrochemical redox batteries (direct solar energy storage and conversion), zero-carbon iron production, and recovery of zinc from industrial waste.
In additional to my academic research projects, I have co-founded a start-up company who are now commercializing a waste treatment / metal recovery technology developed in my laboratory.
- Ahangari HT. and Marshall AT. (2020) Preventing the Deactivation of Gold Cathodes During Electrocatalytic CO2 Reduction While Avoiding Gold Dissolution. Electrocatalysis 11(1): 25-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12678-019-00564-z.
- Landon-Lane L., Downard A. and Marshall A. (2020) Single fibre electrode measurements - a versatile strategy for assessing the non-uniform kinetics at carbon felt electrodes. Electrochimica Acta (accepted).
- Martin-Treceno S., Allanore A., Bishop C., Marshall AT. and Watson M. (2020) Electrochemical Study on the Reduction of Si and Ti from Molten TiO2 - SiO2 - Al2O3 - MgO - CaO Slag. ECS Meeting Abstracts MA2020-02(15): 1415-1415. http://dx.doi.org/10.1149/ma2020-02151415mtgabs.
- Martin-Treceno S., Weaver N., Allanore A., Bishop C., Marshall A. and Watson M. (2020) Electrochemical Behaviour of Titanium-Bearing Slag Relevant for Molten Oxide Electrolysis. Electrochimica Acta 354 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2020.136619.
- Ahangari HT., Portail T. and Marshall AT. (2019) Comparing the electrocatalytic reduction of CO2 to CO on gold cathodes in batch and continuous flow electrochemical cells. ELECTROCHEMISTRY COMMUNICATIONS 101: 78-81. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.elecom.2019.03.005.