Climate change is one of the most prevalent issues of our time. Human exploitation and activity have affected the environment in ways that show alarming long-term effects that are not yet fully understood, from eroding and shifting landscapes to extinct species, and from rising temperatures to extreme weather events.
We need environmental scientists with knowledge on how these different systems work and repair, so that we can manage ongoing environmental issues as the world adapts and evolves.
- Develop applied skills in observation and data analysis with a strong focus on field-based coursework in UC’s field stations.
- Courses in this major utilise UC’s expertise in areas such as disaster management and response, agricultural contamination, civil and urban development, and Antarctic research.
UC offers a major in Environmental Change as part of the Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours.
Environmental Change major
The following courses are required throughout the degree:
- ANTA 201 Antarctica and Global Change
- BIOL 273 New Zealand Biodiversity and Biosecurity
- GEOG 201 Environmental Processes: Principles and Applications or GEOG 215 Environmental Hazards and Disasters
Choose three courses from the following:
- BIOL 337 Bioinformatics
- GEOG 311 Coastal Studies
- GEOG 312 Snow, Ice and Climate
- PHYS 330 Environmental and Climate Modelling
Become a part of the solution to the biggest issues our Earth has ever faced.
Graduates with knowledge around earth systems will find roles in consultancy, law and policy, government, research, education, and media where they can help inform society about the potential hazards and consequences that will arise from exploiting our natural resources. You will be on the forefront of educative, innovative, and sustainable movements, and help us become kaitiaki protectors of the environment.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Environmental Science.
Level 2, Beatrice Tinsley building – see campus maps
Te Rāngai Pūtaiao | College of Science
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Environmental Change
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Sustainability and management of our valuable water resource (both its supply and its quality) is one of the biggest challenges facing Aotearoa New Zealand ...