Become a part of the solution to the biggest issues we have ever faced by studying Environmental Change.
Explore how our earth works, evolves, and adapts to human activity and extreme climate change.
- Learn about how different earth systems react and repair from ongoing environmental issues, from eroding landscapes to extinct species to extreme weather events.
- Gain applied skills in observation and data analysis and computer modelling — through hands-on work at our field stations, and work experience.
- Learn to merge mātauranga Māori and scientific knowledge to broaden your understanding and approach to environmental issues.
- The Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours is accredited by the Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand (EIANZ) to deliver environmental practitioners for roles in industry, government, education and research, and the community.
Environmental Change major
Complete the compulsory courses for the Bachelor of Environmental Science with Honours, along with the following major courses:
- ANTA201 Antarctica and Global Change
- GEOG201 Environmental Processes: Principles and Applications OR GEOG215 Environmental Hazards and Disasters
- Three courses chosen from these options
Your scientific knowledge will be especially important in roles where you can help inform society about the potential hazards and consequences that will arise from exploiting our natural resources.
Some career pathways could include:
- Natural scientist
- Government officer
- Urban and environmental planner
- Resource manager.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Environmental Science.
Te Kura Aronukurangi | School of Earth and Environment
Phone +64 3 369 0655
Level 2, Beatrice Tinsley building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Pūtaiao | Faculty of Science
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Environmental Change
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Environmental Hazards and Disasters
Take this major and you will get the opportunity to analyse disasters like earthquakes, floods, and volcanic activity to reduce their risk and impact.You will ...
Biosecurity concerns the exclusion, eradication, and effective management of threats to the economy, environment, and human health that are posed by pests and ...