Art History and Theory
Toi o Nehe, Toi Ariā
This subject traces history and culture using artefacts, architecture, photos, and more.
Learn to find meaning through objects and see how these affect our experiences.
- Learn on campus and in Te Matatiki Toi Ora | Arts Centre campus in the city centre.
- Get hands-on with our James Logie Memorial Collection of ancient artefacts in the Teece Museum in the city, and Aotearoa New Zealand’s cultural collections at Macmillan Brown Library on campus.
- Internship courses where you can gain practical skills and build connections.
- Combine Art History and Theory studies with other subject interests like Classics, Anthropology, languages, and more.
Art History and Theory major
For the major in the Bachelor of Arts, complete the following courses:
- Three 200-level ARTH courses
Art History and Theory minor
For the minor in the Bachelor of Arts, Commerce, Digital Screen, Health Sciences, Science, Social and Environmental Sustainability, Sport Coaching, or Youth and Community Leadership, complete the following courses:
- 75 points in 100 to 300-level ARTH courses, with at least 45 points above 100-level
Postgraduate Diploma in Art Curatorship
The Postgraduate Diploma in Art Curatorship provides opportunities for those with a Bachelor of Arts in Art History and Theory or a Bachelor of Fine Arts to specialise in a mix of theoretical and applied courses to prepare for work in the art gallery and museum sector.
Throughout your studies, you will be putting into practice skills like critical analysis, attention to detail, perspective, cultural awareness, and research.
By examining artworks, you will gain ‘visual’ literacy, a skill that’s applicable to many areas and careers.
Some career pathways could include:
- Museum and gallery curatorship
- Heritage conservation
- Library science.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Art History and Theory.
Level 5, Karl Popper building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Toi Tangata | Faculty of Arts
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Art History and Theory
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Fine Arts studies explores visual arts as an emotional and thought-provoking media that has influenced us throughout history. UC's Bachelor of Fine Arts offers ...