Postgraduate Diploma in Education
The Postgraduate Diploma in Education is designed to provide opportunities to improve professional practice and examine critically significant issues in education.
The PGDipEd is also available with an endorsement in one of seven areas. This allows you to complete a postgraduate diploma specific to your field of interest.
UC's Te Kaupeka Ako | Faculty of Education has a national and international reputation for producing high-quality teacher graduates based on a 135-year tradition.
Please note this qualification is not a pathway to teacher registration. If you wish to study to become a registered teacher, check out our Initial Teacher Education qualifications.
You must be approved for enrolment to the PGDipEd with one of the following:
- any appropriate bachelor's degree from Aotearoa New Zealand with a major in Education, Psychology, or a related subject; or
- any bachelor's degree from Aotearoa, and either;
- successfully completed a recognised teacher training course of not less than one year at an Aotearoa New Zealand college of education or university; or
- acquired experience as a teacher, educator, or counsellor in a recognised workplace or community setting; or
- completed the Postgraduate Certificate in Education; or
- other qualifications of an equivalent standard.
The relevance and standard of undergraduate studies, and any subsequent professional work experience, are the main criteria of approval. You will normally be expected to have at least a B Grade Point Average in your 300-level courses.
If English is your additional language, you are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
For the full entry requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Education or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The course of study for the Postgraduate Diploma in Education is made up of 120 points of courses. With approval, you may replace up to 30 points with other relevant courses at an equivalent level.
Most of the endorsement subjects can be started in February or July (Teaching and Learning Languages has a July-only start date, and both Literacy and Hōaka Pounamu have a February-only start date).
The Diploma can be completed in 1 year full-time, or it can also be studied part-time in up to 4 years.
Those wishing to enrol in a thesis for the Master of Education following the award of this Diploma should note that completing 30 points of approved research methodology courses will normally be required.
You may study towards the PGDipEd unendorsed, or may choose from the following endorsement options:
- Digital Education Futures
- Inclusive and Special Education
- Positive Behaviour Support (not open to new enrolments)
- Teaching and Learning Languages
- Tertiary Teaching
Courses towards an endorsement are listed in the Postgraduate Diploma in Education Schedule.
The remaining courses (or 120 points of courses for the unendorsed option) are chosen from Master of Education Schedule V.
More information on each endorsement is available on Te Kaupeka Ako | Faculty of Education.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2023||120||Fee estimate. Actual fee will be determined by course selection.||$7,961|
|2022||120||Fee estimate. Actual fee will be determined by course selection.||$7,748|
|Year||Points||Info||Fees (NZD)||Fees (NZD) Excl GST|
|2022||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$33,000||$28,696|
|2023||120||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$34,000||$29,565|
See more information about our Education programmes.
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Education.
For study planning help, contact our Student Advisor team.
For more information on facilities, resources, and staff, see Te Kaupeka Ako | Faculty of Education.