Postgraduate Certificate in Arts
Like most general Arts qualifications, there is a wide range of subject choice available at UC, with more than 30 subjects on offer – from Anthropology to Te Reo Māori. The great thing about the Postgraduate Certificate in Arts is that this qualification can be:
- completed in a relatively short period of time (6 months full-time study or 1 year part-time)
- studied part-time, which is ideal for those wishing to undertake professional development or to expand their disciplinary knowledge in a relevant field whilst working or supporting other commitments
- a combination of different courses; either in different subject areas, or a mix of courses in one subject area with an internship or digital humanities project added, to enhance employment skills and applied learning experiences
- an ideal stepping stone to further postgraduate programmes on offer at UC.
PGCertArts students will be introduced to sophisticated subject matter and develop skills in the critical evaluation of academic literature in their discipline or area of specialisation. They will also foster high-level skills in critical thinking, problem solving, and communication.
A Bachelor of Arts or an equivalent degree with grades to a specified level in the subject concerned is required for the PGCertArts.
Students with English as an additional language are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
To qualify for the Postgraduate Certificate in Arts, a student must complete at least 60 points from taught courses, as approved by the Head of Department and the Dean of Arts (Academic).
The Certificate takes 6 months full-time, or 1 year part-time, to complete.
The Certificate requires 60 points at 400-level in one of the following subjects.
Contact the College of Arts | Te Rāngai Toi Tangata for information about these subject areas:
Subject to the approval of the Dean of Arts (Academic), a student may transfer completed courses passed with a B Grade Point Average or higher for the Postgraduate Certificate in Arts to:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Arts
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours
- the coursework section of a master's degree (there are a number of taught master's operated by the College of Arts | Te Rāngai Toi Tangata).
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2020||60||Banded Fee - total tuition fee dependent on course selection||$3,768 - $4,087|
|2020||60||Anthropology; Art History; Art Theory; Chinese; Classics; Cultural Studies; Digital Humanities; Education; English; European Studies; French; German; History; Human Services; Japanese; Linguistics; Māori and Indigenous Studies; Media and Communication; Philosophy; Political Science and International Relations; Russian; Social Work; Sociology; Sociology; Te Reo Māori (Band 1)||$3,768|
|2020||60||Economics (Band 2)||$3,926|
|2020||60||Geography; Music; Psychology (Band 3)||$4,087|
|2020||60||Mathematics; Statistics (Band 9)||$3,955|
|2020||60||Special (Set) Programme Fee||$15,350|
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Arts.
For course advice contact the College of Arts:
College of Arts | Te Rāngai Toi Tangata
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800