Master of Laws
The Master of Laws degree offers a choice of over 40 topics for specialised research.
LLM students develop in-depth expertise in particular fields of legal specialisation, broaden their knowledge in a range of legal subjects, and combine law study with related disciplines. You will get the chance to undertake research under the supervision of expert staff in Te Kaupeka Ture | Faculty of Law.
You must have a Bachelor of Laws degree (or equivalent) with good grades to enrol.
If English is your additional language, you must also meet UC's English language requirements.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The Master of Laws may be undertaken by either:
- completing four research courses and a dissertation (LAWS674 Dissertation), or
- by thesis only (LAWS690 LLM Thesis).
The LLM takes 1–2 years full-time, or 2–4 years part-time. You can begin studies in February or July (or start anytime if taking the thesis-only pathway).
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement, and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Te Rōpū Rapuara | UC Careers can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers, or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit Te Pōkai Tara | Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
See Tuition Fee Structure for more information
|2023||120||Fee estimate. Actual fee will be determined by course selection.||$7,938|
|2022||120||Fee estimate. Actual fee will be determined by course selection.||$7,558|
|Year||Points||Info||Fees (NZD)||Fees (NZD) Excl GST|
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Master of Laws.
Te Kaupeka Ture | Faculty of Law
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800