Fines and payments
You can pay your fines and some lost book charges from your Canterbury Card account. We never take the money off until you ask us to.
- Make sure money is loaded onto your Canterbury Card, either at a reload station by EFTPOS, or online by credit card (via MyUC).
- Pay the fine or lost book charges using your Canterbury Card, either in person at any library information desk or pay online*.
- You will receive an email confirmation when a payment has been made.
- You can check recent payments from your card at your IT Account. Your balance may take several minutes to update after a payment.
- You can pay for lost books if the debt has not progressed to an invoice from Financial Services.
*online payment is only available for UC students and staff with valid IT accounts
- If you have any queries about lost book charges, email the library staff.
- Don't have a Canterbury Card account (e.g. subscriber and reciprocal borrowers)? Please visit a library information desk to organise payment. If you have a casual photocopying card you can use this to make fine payments at the desk.
For normal items overdue, there will not be a fine for the first 1 day (grace period). After that, a fine of $0.25 per day applies (max fine amount $15.00).
The following fines apply for different types of loans:
|Standard loan||1 day||$0.25/day or part thereof (max. $15.00)|
|1 day loan||0 days||$3.00/day or part thereof (max. $30.00)|
|3 day loan||0 days||$3.00/day or part thereof (max. $30.00)|
|1 hour loan||15 minutes||$1.50/hour or part thereof (max. $30.00)|
|3 hour loan||15 minutes||$1.50/hour or part thereof (max. $30.00)|
Please note that items checked in or renewed after the grace period will incur fines from the due date, including the grace period.
Fines are calculated at midnight each day. Fines will still be charged if you renew a book after midnight but before the library opens.
Recall fine rate: $3.00 per day
Borrowing blocked when amount overdue reaches: $30.00
Borrowing blocked when amount overdue remains unpaid for: 28 days or more.
Please note that long-term failure to pay fines may result in the debt being sent to UC Financial Services for recovery and further university-wide sanctions.