Qualifications & Memberships
Current research interests include high temperature superconductivity in electric power machines; smart grids and renewable energy; LED lighting; computer modelling and simulation of transformers; high voltage.
- Asef P., Bargallo R. and Lapthorn AC. (2019) Time-domain computation of rotational iron losses considering the bulk conductivity for PMSMs. IET Electric Power Applications 13(6): 712-719. http://dx.doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2018.5395.
- Asef P., Perpina RB. and Lapthorn AC. (2019) Optimal pole number for magnetic noise reduction in variable-speed permanent magnet synchronous machines with fractional-slot concentrated windings. IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification 5(1): 126-134. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TTE.2018.2886429.
- Asef P., Perpina RB., Barzegaran MR. and Lapthorn A. (2019) A 3-D pareto-based shading analysis on solar photovoltaic system design optimization. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy 10(2): 843-852. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2018.2849370.
- Jin Z., Lapthorn A. and Staines M. (2019) An investigation on the ac dielectric strength of paper sheet insulation in liquid nitrogen. IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity 29(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2018.2854664.
- Jin Z., Lapthorn A. and Staines M. (2019) Corrections to: 'The Dielectric Strength of Nomex 410 Paper in Liquid Nitrogen under Boiling Situations'((2017) 27:7 (5500710) DOI: 10.1109/TASC.2017.2732282). IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity 29(4) http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2018.2880324.
Dr Andrew Lapthorn from UC’s Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at work in the High Voltage Lab, the only facility of its kind in a New Zealand university. It does commercial testing for the electrical industry.