Qualifications & Memberships
Current research interests include high temperature superconductivity in electric power machines; smart grids and renewable energy; LED lighting; computer modelling and simulation of transformers; high voltage.
- Asef P., Perpina RB. and Lapthorn AC. (2019) Optimal pole number for magnetic noise reduction in variable-speed permanent magnet synchronous machines with fractional-slot concentrated windings. IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification 5(1): 126-134. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TTE.2018.2886429.
- Asef P., Perpina RB., Barzegaran MR. and Lapthorn A. (2019) A 3-D pareto-based shading analysis on solar photovoltaic system design optimization. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy 10(2): 843-852. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2018.2849370.
- Jin Z., Lapthorn A. and Staines M. (2019) An Investigation on the AC Dielectric Strength of Paper Sheet Insulation in Liquid Nitrogen. IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity 29(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2018.2854664.
- Jin Z., Lapthorn A. and Staines M. (2019) The Dielectric Strength of Nomex 410 Paper in Liquid Nitrogen Under Boiling Situations (vol 27, 5500710, 2017). IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity 29(4) http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2018.2880324.
- Asef P., Perpina RB., Barzegaran MR., Dong J., Lapthorn A. and Mohammed OA. (2018) A comparative study of Quasi-FEA technique on iron losses prediction for permanent magnet synchronous machines. Progress In Electromagnetics Research C 81: 101-113.
Dr Andrew Lapthorn from UC’s Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at work in the High Voltage Lab, the only facility of its kind in a New Zealand university. It does commercial testing for the electrical industry.