Qualifications & Memberships
Professor Gillon is currently the Co-Director of the Better Start National Science Challenge ($34M) E Tipu E Rea, A 10 year programme of research focused on ensuring all young children have a successful start to life. Prof Gillon’s area of research focuses on understanding the relationship between spoken and written language development and, in particular, the importance of children’s phonological awareness to reading and spelling development.
Active research projects include: The effectiveness of phonological awareness interventions in facilitating early literacy success in children who enter school with known challenges for reading and spelling. Engaging parents, family and community in children’s early oral language and literacy development, Facilitating literacy success in children with speech and language impairment; Understanding international speech language therapy practices in children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Interdisciplinary practices across health and education to support children’s learning, Teachers’ professional development in children’s oral language and early literacy development, Oral Language Assessment measures (Systematic Analysis of Language Transcripts) Phonological Awareness on-line assessments in English, Te Reo Maori and Samoan.
- Brown MI., Westerveld MF., Trembath D. and Gillon GT. (2018) Promoting language and social communication development in babies through an early storybook reading intervention. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology 20(3): 337-349. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17549507.2017.1406988.
- Schluter P., Kokaua J., Tautolo E-S., Richards R., Taleni T., Kim HM., Audas R., McNeill B., Taylor B. and Gillon G. (2018) Patterns of early primary school-based literacy interventions among Pacific children from a nationwide health screening programme of 4 year olds. Scientific Reports 8 12368 http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-29939-w.
- Schluter PJ., Audas R., Kokaua J., McNeill B., Taylor B., Milne B. and Gillon G. (2018) The Efficacy of Preschool Developmental Indicators as a Screen for Early Primary School-Based Literacy Interventions. Child Development http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/cdev.13145.
- Brown MI., Westerveld MF. and Gillon GT. (2017) Early storybook reading with babies and young children: Parents’ opinions and home reading practices. Australasian Journal of Early Childhood 42(2): 69-77. http://dx.doi.org/10.23965/AJEC.42.2.09.
- Gillon G. (2017) Dedication to Dr. Carol Westby. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica 69(1-2): 5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000479711.
Professor Gail Gillon has operational responsibility for the College of Education, Health & Human Development.
Second Edition of Phonological Awareness: From Research to Practice
Gillon G. T. (2017) Phonological Awareness: From Research to Practice. (2nd ed.). Guilford Publications.
International purchases: http://app.bronto.com/public/previewmessage/email/11605/1580761/html
University of Canterbury Book Shop: Phonological Awareness: From Research to Practice 2nd ed.
Phonological Awareness Resources
Professor Gillon's Phonological Awareness Resources are available online.