Qualifications & Memberships
Current research interest concerns problems of democratisation and economic marketisation of post-communist Europe as well as the prospects for further EU enlargement to the East and its impacts on New Zealand.
- Comparative European and East European politics
- Comparative political economy and public policy
- Political and economic transition in Eastern Europe
- EU enlargement to the East – politics, processes, impacts
- EU enlargement to the East – impacts on New Zealand
- Historical, socio-cultural, economic and political aspects of the communist legacy in Eastern Europe
- Modern history of Eastern Europe
- Petrovic M; Tzifakis N (Ed.) (2021) EU enlargement to the Western Balkans: The geopolitical turn or another postponement? (Special Journal Issue). Journal of Contemporary European Studies 29(2). Journal of Contemporary European Studies: Vol 29, No 2 (tandfonline.com)
- Petrovic M; Fish SM; Gill G (Ed.) (2017) A Quarter Century of Post-Communism Assessed. (First ed.) Cham, Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan - Springer. 360. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-43437-7.
- Petrovic M. (2013) The democratic transition of post-communist Europe: In the shadow of communist differences and uneven EUropeanisation. Houndmills, Basingstoke and New York: Palgrave Macmillan: xx+196. https://www.amazon.com/Democratic-Transition-Post-Communist-Europe-EUropeanisation/dp/0230354319.
- Petrovic M. and Wilson G. (2021) Bilateral relations in the Western Balkans as a challenge for EU accession. Journal of Contemporary European Studies 29(2): 201-218. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14782804.2020.1865884.
- Petrovic M. (2020) The Post-communist Transition of the Western Balkans: EUropeanisation with a small enlargement carrot. In Akimov A; Kazakevich G (Ed.), 30 Years since the Fall of the Berlin Wall: Turns and Twists in Economies, Politics, and Societies in the Post-Communist Countries Cham: Palgrave Macmillan: 57-82. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-0317-7.
Milenko Petrovic was Jean Monnet Chair between 2017 and 2021.